• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any ideas on maker of this G-1?

jschare

I purchased this on ebay at a good price. The seller says it's a 60's G-1 but the collar looks more like a M-422 to me. Any ideas on what it is? Is it a M-422 or a G-1? Maker? The zipper, I'm sure, has been replaced and the knits have been replaced as well.
60_12.JPG

60_12a.JPG

60_12b.JPG

60_12c.JPG

60_12d.JPG

60_12e.JPG

60_12f.JPG

Roughwear

Some close-up shots of the details would be really helpful in dating this jacket-back of collar, underarm vents, and collar. Is the lining original to the jacket and has the mouton been replaced?

jschare

Roughwear said:
Some close-up shots of the details would be really helpful in dating this jacket-back of collar, underarm vents, and collar. Is the lining original to the jacket and has the mouton been replaced?

I don't have it yet. These are the photos from ebay. Once I get it, I'll take close up shots. I bought for $100 USD. I was hoping I got a good deal. Here's a back shot. You can kind of see the underarm vents.

60_12h.JPG

jschare

The seller emailed me back and said the USN is punched in the wind flap. Did the 55J14 have USN punched in and did it have this type of collar, pointed rather than round?

Roughwear

My guess is that your jacket is a 1960 fiscal year California Sportswear G-1 MIL-J-7823. There is one on JC's flight jacket CD and it is the only G-1 from the 1950s that has a narrow back like your jacket and a pointed collar. This is what John says about it:

The jacket design is almost that of an M-422a. The jacket has a small back panel, and front leather that wraps around past the underarm, reminiscent of M-422a designs. The pockets are also quite far from the zipper, and the shoulders are a bit tight, especially for a jacket from 1960.
front_view_flat.jpg

reverse_view_flat.jpg

lining.jpg

jschare

Roughwear said:
My guess is that your jacket is a 1960 fiscal year California Sportswear G-1 MIL-J-7823. There is one on JC's flight jacket CD and it is the only G-1 from the 1950s that has a narrow back like your jacket and a pointed collar.

Andrew,

Would the California Sportswear G-1 have the red lining? It's hard to tell the color in your photos.

Roughwear

Not as far as I know. I suspect the jacket has been relined at some stage, but you will only know for sure when it arrives. From the auction pics there does not seem to be traces of stitch holes in the lining for the spec label and leather hanger, indicating a replaced lining.