• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aniline versus Spray dyed

Could some of you more experienced collectors voice your opinions on the pluses and minuses of each of these two different hide finishes. I've heard the Aniline is more comfortable but also more subject to staining as it's more porous. But spray finish will show more wear. True or false?

Thanks fedoralover

Roughwear

fedoralover said:
Could some of you more experienced collectors voice your opinions on the pluses and minuses of each of these two different hide finishes. I've heard the Aniline is more comfortable but also more subject to staining as it's more porous. But spray finish will show more wear. True or false?

Thanks fedoralover

Allowing for variations in the thickness of hide and the cut of the jacket I would agree with you on the basis of the repros and the originals I have worn.

SteveN

Anyone know who made, originally, aniline and who made sprayed dyed jackets? E.g. would it be correct to find a aniline dyed Dubow? Or, were they all spray dyed (depot resprays excluded here -- only OEM from the factory)?

Regards,
- SteveN

T-Bolt

fedoralover,

I have an ELC Rough Wear 1401-P which was the jacket made just before the 1401-P that is reviewed on Acme Depot (#343 versus #344). Marc describes the horsehide used for this jacket as being "vegetable tanned, aniline dyed, with a hand applied finish".

If water is applied to the surface of this particular leather, it immediately soaks into it, rather than being repelled. When the leather is allowed to dry, it does so fairly rapidly and leaves no evidence of the darkening that occurred when the water first soaked in.

I like the overall look and feel of this type of leather, but sometimes I wish it would repel liquids at least to a partial degree.

Ted

Chandler

The latest Lexus radio commercials advertise "semi-aniline" leather on the seats. Makes me wonder if they'll wear like those ELC 1401s.

My older 1401 is of the spray-dyed variety and it has taken much longer to break in and wear than the hand applied, aniline dyed jackets I've seen (all repros).

Chandler

SteveN

SteveN said:
Anyone know who made, originally, aniline and who made sprayed dyed jackets? E.g. would it be correct to find a aniline dyed Dubow? Or, were they all spray dyed (depot resprays excluded here -- only OEM from the factory)?

I just thought I'd try this question again...

Jason

Well, I have one Perry that is definitely spray dyed (don't think its a depot re-issue spray dye either, the colour is not dark enough), and another that I strongly suspect is aniline - but I'm not experienced enough to tell for 100% certain.
The leather on the aniline dyed Perry is considerably more pliable, less 'crisp' feeling than the spray dyed one, and is indeed more comfortable to wear.

Chandler

Perusing Acme Depot, it appears the Perry Sportswear example in the collection was
aniline dyed. Possibly the RW W535-AC-18091 contract, the Star, maybe even the Werber.

All of this from an untrained eye, but in comparison to modern jackets I've seen with
aniline dye.

Chandler

airfrogusmc

SteveN said:

Regards,
- SteveN

Dubow 27798 had all different types of dyed hides and colors.