• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aniline Dye

Philalethes

I am trying to find out more information on aniline dye, which is used for Eastman's Luftwaffe and German Flying jackets. All I have been able to find so far is that some aniline-dyed leathers stain when exposed to water (obviously not ideal for a jacket). So my questions are:

1) How water-resistant or water-"sensitive" (i.e. likely to stain) is an aniline-dyed jacket?

2) Were aniline dyes common for flight jackets (or any other jackets, for that matter)?

3) How well does an aniline jacket develop a patina over time? Does the dye wear off easily?

Philalethes

atkins said:
Here's something i dig up:
http://vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=354&hilit=aniline

I never owned an A2 aniline jacket but i hope to in near future ( GW, wait for me )

Thanks, this is helpful. It seems like aniline-dyed leather is more comfortable but also more absorbent - and hence more likely to stain.
I am not looking for an A2 myself - nice though they are - but a 3/4 length coat: hence I am considering Eastman's German 3/4 Length Flying Coat (among Aero's Barnstormer and Lost Worlds Peacoat). Although it is certainly a turnoff if the hide stains, especially for the price.