• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AN-6552 American Sportswear?

Erwin

Hi Folks,

A quick question, I'll need your help regarding this jacket. Based on the details, I assume it is one of AN-6522 made by American Sportswear? But I'm not 100% sure if I identified it correctly, as made by American Sportswear [yellow signature painted on the collar, pocket flaps, collar shape, salmon pink lining, etc.] or not. What is interesting it has heavy woven knitted cuffs and waistband, these do not look like replacements. Thanks for Your help.

zzz.JPG
zzzz.JPG

zz.jpg
zzzzz.JPG

mulceber

Looks like American Sportswear to me.
I’m a bit mystified by the knits too. I’m inclined to say they’re replacements, but it sounds like there aren’t any additional stitch holes. Maybe a field repair by someone without access to a sewing machine (and therefore used the original stitch holes)? I’d be interested to see if anyone else has ever seen this before.

Last edited:

Pilot

Was somehow already discussed here…
… plus if a real pro like Steve S. or Aero ( or other real pros ) changes knits, you wont see any holes or markes.
Here the textbook knits.

Last edited:

Erwin

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it a lot. Looks like it was a cool find and well-spent money for a wearable AN-6522 jacket. Regarding the heavy-knitted cuff and waistband, need to check this, but I've seen the exact same knits on one WW2 USN jacket [could be a replacement indeed, will show you more details when I get it]. Thanks, Folks ;)

Pilot

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it a lot. Looks like it was a cool find and well-spent money for a wearable AN-6522 jacket. Regarding the heavy-knitted cuff and waistband, need to check this, but I've seen the exact same knits on one WW2 USN jacket [could be a replacement indeed, will show you more details when I get it]. Thanks, Folks ;)
Thanks Erwin… IMHO knits are replaced.
Anyway great find.
if you need to change the mouton, I have the same color shade
0E4A18B9-BC31-4A3B-8404-5F58247B6E82.jpeg
4D62F8C1-5466-4D71-A23E-40592FC4D816.jpeg
in stock in Germany .
Cheers Brice
Pm welcome if interested

Erwin

Hey Brice, thanks a lot, was wondering recently about the source of vintage mouton fur, plenty of these on the US auctions, but if you need max just to replace two collars, purchasing a whole coat would be a "bit" too much. In case replacement is needed I know who should be contacted. I'm sure that jacket can have some flaws, hopefully not too many. Need to inspect the details and decide if I need to replace the collar or leave it like it is. One more time thank You!

Pilot

Hey Brice, thanks a lot, was wondering recently about the source of vintage mouton fur, plenty of these on the US auctions, but if you need max just to replace two collars, purchasing a whole coat would be a "bit" too much. In case replacement is needed I know who should be contacted. I'm sure that jacket can have some flaws, hopefully not too many. Need to inspect the details and decide if I need to replace the collar or leave it like it is. One more time thank You!
My pleasure

Chandler

Looks like American Sportswear to me.
I’m a bit mystified by the knits too. I’m inclined to say they’re replacements, but it sounds like there aren’t any additional stitch holes. Maybe a field repair by someone without access to a sewing machine (and therefore used the original stitch holes)? I’d be interested to see if anyone else has ever seen this before.
Yeah, the wide ribs on the knits don't look original.

Erwin

Yeah, the wide ribs on the knits don't look original.
Yep indeed, USN contract jackets had standardized ones, a well-known thing. I'll consider a replacement [if find something better and more accurate than these from Osaka] or leave it as it is now ;). Thanks!