• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alpha MA-1 "1968 Repro"

Scooter

Anyone seen this jacket in person? It's ~$200 at US Wings vs $90 for their "regular" MA-1. Looking for opinions. Cheers!

Atticus

Scooter said:
Anyone seen this jacket in person? It's ~$200 at US Wings vs $90 for their "regular" MA-1. Looking for opinions. Cheers!
Alpha has been making this jacket for a long time, off and on. I bought one four or five years ago, but mine is blue. The dealer I bought it from was out of sage in my size, but the price was so good I couldn't resist.

Except for the fact that it is blue, it is a spot-on reproduction of an original, late 'sixties, Alpha MA-1. It has wool and cotton insulation, wool knits and Scovill zippers...all just like the real jacket. Even the tag is correct. I have several original Alphas from this same time frame, and you can't tell the difference between this jacket and my originals...except, of course, the repro is blue. I can't find a photo of the jacket, but here's the tag. By the way, did I mention that the jacket is blue?

JackiesTesters155.jpg

I still have the jacket in almost unworn condition, and would like to sell it, if anyone is interested in a very accurate, but blue, MA-1.

AF

watchmanjimg

Atticus said:
Scooter said:
Alpha has been making this jacket for a long time, off and on. I bought one four or five years ago, but mine is blue. The dealer I bought it from was out of sage in my size, but the price was so good I couldn't resist.

Except for the fact that it is blue, it is a spot-on reproduction of an original, late 'sixties, Alpha MA-1. It has wool and cotton insulation, wool knits and Scovill zippers...all just like the real jacket. Even the tag is correct. I have several original Alphas from this same time frame, and you can't tell the difference between this jacket and my originals...except, of course, the repro is blue. I can't find a photo of the jacket, but here's the tag. By the way, did I mention that the jacket is blue?

JackiesTesters155.jpg

I still have the jacket in almost unworn condition, and would like to sell it, if anyone is interested in a very accurate, but blue, MA-1.

AF

Actually, aside from the blue color the "MADE IN USA" script on the label distinguishes this jacket from an original. That said, I'd be thrilled to own a blue example in my size. Too bad yours is an X-Large. :(

269sqnhudson

I had two in sage green a while back (10 and 4 years). Those were perfect except for the decal. Scovill Zippers, cotton and wool interlining, wool pocket linings.
Beware however, the new ones are NOT the same. Looks like you get cheaper zippers and wool 'blend' knits and I don't think they're USA made anymore

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
269sqnhudson said:
Beware however, the new ones are NOT the same. Looks like you get cheaper zippers and wool 'blend' knits and I don't think they're USA made anymore

• ... wool-blend collar, cuffs & waistband, zippered utility pocket on the left sleeve, a warm wool-cotton-poly blend interliner (the precursor to modern poly-fil insulation), inside wind flap under a heavy-duty zipper ...

Eek !! :shock:

http://www.uswings.com/ma-1.asp