• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alpha Ind. cwu36 xl vs other brands

anthonyhie

Hello guys,

Are the milspec cwu36p X-Large from Alpha slimmer in the chest than the other brands ?
When I find one from Alpha on eBay the chest measurements are around 24-25 inches and the other brands (Propper, creative…) are more like 27 inches.
Has Alpha Industries its own pattern ?
What is your experience about this ?
For example the label does not show 46-48 but only X-Large. This one is 25in
IMG_0549.jpeg

Thanks in advance !

Anthony

Silver Surfer

alpo is ok, but the ones from the 70s-80s are better. the shell is heavier,, and fire resistant. they are not quite as wide as the modern ones, and the 70s versions have bi-swing backs. also, they can be found in excellent condition on greedbay, Etsy, etc. for $80-$140

Rutger

I have a shit load of these jackets, the Propper ones (1x CWU-36 and 1x CWU-45) are indeed notably larger than those from other makes. And yes, they do vary, it's a gamble.
Every aramid or aromatic polyamide or polyamide or nomex jacket is fire resistant. Though just "polyamide" (as some makes have indicated) isn't actually specific enough to warrant the use of the aromatic variant. But the secondary tags always indicates the fire resistant aspect.
Quite a few reproductions are made of nylon. Alpha then uses CWU-36P/N on the tag.

anthonyhie

Thanks @Rutger. You seem to know a lot about the cwu
Could you tell me the difference between the DLA number and the SP0100 number, and sometimes SPM1C1 on the labels.
Thanks again for your help !
IMG_0624.jpeg

IMG_0546.jpeg
IMG_0549.jpeg

Rutger

I'm willing to bet that like every larger organisation, the armed forces employ a load of people just to change nomenclature every half decade, to "improve the system".

DSA Defense Supply Agency
DLA Defense Logistics Agency
SPO and SPM. Systems Program/Project Office, Systems Program Manager.

Anyone else knows better...just chime in.