• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alden boots …… Indy’s Favourite and a Step in Front of the Competition

Chandler

View attachment 73582

Dug these ones out of the closet to share. I bought these Alden 405s back in 2007, so they're about 15 years old now, and, as you can see, have been very well worn. Heck, they look like they just got done with an Indy movie. After a long time trying to make them work, I've concluded Aldens just aren't for me. They're very well-constructed shoes, and @Chandler, they might work for your arches, but I really need shoes with plenty of cushioning in the toes and the Indy boot just doesn't have that (although, to be fair, very few old-school shoes do). I've heard plenty of people rave about how comfortable they are over the years, so I know they're good. Every foot's different though, so the way one boot fits isn't going to work for everyone. :)
Um. What size? Seriously, I'm pretty good at refurbishing shoes and Alden soles are easily replaced with their Goodyear welt.

Funny observation, you say they weren't that good on your feet, but damned if you didn't get some use outta them! ;)

MikeyB-17

Funny observation, you say they weren't that good on your feet, but damned if you didn't get some use outta them! ;)
I was gonna say the same! :D First thing I did with all my Red Wings was to buy a pair of Red Wing Shaped Comfort insoles. They make a big difference.

mulceber

Well, that’s the thing, for about the first decade they were okay - definitely not my most comfortable shoes and the toe thing bothered me a bit, but I liked the look, so I stuck with ‘em. Then in my late 20s, they became more uncomfortable. Could be they’re in need of re-soling (I have had them a couple times before), but I think my feet also just got worse around then, because nowadays I’m very careful about what shoes I buy.

Last edited:

Chandler

So…. After co writing this thread with Harris, imagine my surprise when I stumbled on this EBay listing today …….. What has this guy been smoking ? ;)
Well, the full description says to make your best offer, so... ;)

If they were a 10-C I might offer $250 to see where I'd get.

But what's all the "rod" gibberish?

entertainment

Harris_HTM

So…. After co writing this thread with Harris, imagine my surprise when I stumbled on this EBay listing today …….. What has this guy been smoking ? ;)
And I thought that the shell cordovan version was expensive...

But what's all the "rod" gibberish?
As the seller says: "We will put your rod in strong cardboard cylinder or another safe box... cause, we send rod by strong tube, outside package will not fit that tube." :)

Just chiming in on the comfort issue. Alden's roots as a shoemaker were as makers of orthopaedic footwear, so arch support in the correct last for your feet is generally really good. The Trubalance last is pretty forgiving for a lot fo foot types so unless you have particular arch needs the 405 should work very well.

I think one area where the current, stock 405 differs from the original boot is that they are no longer lined in duck cotton canvas. I still have a pair from about twenty years ago with cotton lining and old logo which are thankfully still going strong.

Attachments

• 405_001.jpg
    405_001.jpg
    602.2 KB · Views: 123
  • 405_002.jpg
    405_002.jpg
    807.3 KB · Views: 128