• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero Thunder Bay label?

rob20uk

Have any of you guys any idea on the history of the aero Thunder Bay label in jackets?

I am just trying to figure out what sort of jacket they were used on, how old they might be etc.

IMG_8727.jpeg

Spitfireace

I think you'd have to ask Ken Calder why they decided to call it the Thunder Bay. This style of jacket was originally called Franco-Canadian. I have one myself and so does Ken. Neither of ours has the original label.

Southoftheborder

Pretty sure the original Thunderbay label was used on the Indian made jackets they sold a couple of decades or so ago. It was resurrected for the modern Thunderbay jacket.

Spitfireace

It's hardly a cheap jacket today. It's one of their warmer shearling lined jackets. Completely authentic, from the original pattern in late forties.

Southoftheborder

That's the modern jacket which uses the name. The question was about the use of the label in older jackets.

I distinctly remember reading something written by Ken Calder years ago that it was used on an Indian made cheaper line in the nineties I think. That arrangement didn't last long because according to him standards were fine as long as they were overseen by the Scotland based staff who set the operation in India up but went down the pan when those people left. So they only manufactured there for a very short time.

rob20uk

That's the modern jacket which uses the name. The question was about the use of the label in older jackets.

I distinctly remember reading something written by Ken Calder years ago that it was used on an Indian made cheaper line in the nineties I think. That arrangement didn't last long because according to him standards were fine as long as they were overseen by the Scotland based staff who set the operation in India up but went down the pan when those people left. So they only manufactured there for a very short time.

I have one that is made with Connolly leather. I would be surprised if this was farmed out to India. I’ll drop Aero an email and see what they say.

rob20uk

I called the factory to ask about this and was told that it is common for customers to request different labels on a jacket.

She said that when you have a jacket made you can select any label you want as long as it’s not a military label on a civilian jacket etc.

So I guess this settles the matter a little more.