• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero leather Clothing Co A2 , is this an original

littlebuddy

I have been offered this A2 , and was wondering if it was actually an original ? i cant find any info regarding the contract number and as can be seen in the photo , the label is pretty well worn ! the size label is also missing

Any help would be great many thanks LB

4a3440d6-3610-43e4-a660-9001f5bc82b3_zpsd761c1db.jpg

Silver Surfer

looks legit, and right as rain. cant make much of the label. likely original to the jac or possibly a replaced a-3 flight pants label. its hard to be conclusive regarding size, condition, etc, with limited pix.

JDAM

Label looks originally sewn to jacket but there's no Aero A-2 contract 42 - 5 XXX 0 - P. Quite suspect wear or 'picking' to obscure info i.e. the '2' of A-2, contract number and order number. Otherwise, it has been refurbished at some point, cuffs are replacements, zipper looks a little rotten, collar lining is battered. Really depends how much someone is asking for it and the size. Despite all the above it could make a nice wearer.

littlebuddy

Could it have been a error on the machinist ,that it has the wrong label ? also is that the correct thread used to stitch the label ??

The guy is looking for around the 360 Euro for it , too much or about right ???

LB

dmar836

I agree with JDAM. That IMO is not cheap enough to justify the problems. I think the label question is wishful thinking - we all do it.
JMO,
Dave

TankBuster

Just pass on it. You can get something better for that money. From now to mid September is bargain season for flight jackets on ebay.

littlebuddy

Thanks for the info guys , i was actually going to do a trade on the jacket as i dont actually have any spare cash !! :( and the guy was looking to trade , so i thought i was on to a winner !! maybe not after all that !! :(

Anybody got an A2 to trade or part trade ????

dmar836

You also have to consider the fact that some day you may wish to resell a jacket - for whatever reason. The low-end jackets will always stay low-end. IMO this would be low-end based on all the problems even if the hide plumps up. If you plan to "restore" it you would have a lining, correct label, matching knits, and zip into it and only the zip could be found NOS. You could put close to $1K into this to make it right and it still wouldn't be original. Most collectors prefer original(repro parts, as good as they are, just won't cut it) so you would exclude many buyers and/or greatly decrease your asking price. I perceive you to be a collector so would recommend focusing on originals that will appreciate more. If it was very cheap, it would be worth snapping up(nothing wrong with a project when you have plenty) but A-2s in this condition are not very difficult to find.

JMO
Dave

littlebuddy

Dave , yes i am a collector of USAAF equipment and clothing , and an A2 is a real big hole in my collection ! hence the reason for all the questions on this one !! :D

would anyone know where i could get a better jacket ,i have a few items to trade for the right one !! i dont want a painted id'd version (as thats well out of my budget )

Any help members ???

LB

littlebuddy

The jacket has been confirmed it is an original , but obviously the tag is not ! i have contacted the seller and he has been in touch with Eastmans himself regarding its legitimacy , obviously he is a bit bummed about the findings as he feels duped by the guy that sold it to him

So my question now is this , he has asked me to make an offer on it now , do i walk away from it ?

or do i get myself a project which i know isnt going to be cheap ,but , i would have a displayable A2

Decisions decisions !!!

LB

dmar836

LB,
I would just be patient. There are many better A-2s that will come your way. Confirming that jacket's legitimacy doesn't require that much research nor is it the issue. Just know you will be inheriting his same angst. If you ever wish to sell or upgrade, you will be out some serious money to restore it. To just leave it as-is I just wouldn't give more than maybe $200 for it. Many other collectors would easily turn away. It's just that I could fix it myself.
That's just me.
Dave

littlebuddy

Thanks Dave !! i guess im just too much of an EAGER BEAVER !!! I have seen what A2 s fetch and they have always been out of my league , so when i was offered this i thought i was on to a winner !! but maybe not now !! :(

Well keep your eyes peeled for me chaps !! im sure there are a few over in the US that need a new home !!!

Thanks all

LB

Peter Graham

Carl, I think it's a great A-2. The previous comments are totally valid but the leather looks to be in lovely condition and it's got a killer patina. It really depends what you want it for and how much the seller is willing to let it go for. If you just want it for display on a mannequin then it would do the job as it is but to make it wearable would cost roughly £150 not including a correct label. If you got the jacket for say, £150, then you would have a wearable original for less than half the price of a repro. Sounds good to me.

dmar836

Peter has good points. I am trying to see it as a fellow collector and not as one who wants to deal in "wearers". As said, that's just me. My first A-2 was a named private purchase. I have never cared about the size - just the display value. The average AAF guy wasn't very big. This route can open up the market for you and keeps the prices down a bit as the sizes 34-38 can be had for much less. Up in the 40s expect to pay a good bit more for the same exact jacket.
You just have to decide if you can display it as-is. In that case maybe you can work a deal. I guess I jumped to the conclusion that you would repair it. The necessary repairs will most certainly put it into the "wearer" category for the rest of it's days. Then again leaving it alone will certainly not appeal to many and it ain't gonna get purdier by itself! Maybe a good cleaning and removing that label would help it's value without adding anything new.
If you are not looking for your personal size, but rather for a display piece, you should find a complete original in the $600 range. It takes watching though.
Let us know what you decide.
Having to get he last word in,
Dave