• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero Leather B3 on eBay UK

DylanDog

The following AeroLeather B3 is currently listed for sale on eBay UK.

Given the colouring would I be right to assume this could be made from ‘Redskin’ leather ?

The one thing that I find a little unusual is that it has two front patch pockets, and not just the usual one on the right hand side.

I’ve messaged the buyer about it thinking it may have been a special order request, however apparently the jacket was a gift that was bought for them and which ‘cost a lot of money’ from a ‘top retailer’ They also said it was a ‘limited edition’

Needless to say I have no connection with either the buyer or jacket but am just curious if anyone may know more about the type of leather or the additional pocket.

flyincowboy

it's not the first one with the double pocket that i have ever seen!. You may not like it but look like a nice modification very practical obviousely a nice jacket.

D97x7

Yeah I'd say that was their version of the redskin hide, nice looking jacket, not a fan of the extra pocket though but that's just me.

DylanDog

Have to say I’m fine with the extra pocket.Especially as it looks to be an exact match done at the time the jacket was made by Aero and not just added on as an afterthought by someone less skilled.

There was an Aviation Leathercraft Irvin on eBay very recently which was clearly originally pocketless but to which someone had added two B3 style patch pockets. It was a little strange as the stitching looked to be OK but both the shape and positioning of the leather pockets wasn’t right. Neither matched and they were out by a fair way, with one even being sewn over a side seam.

As has been said the extra pocket on the Aero B3 does seem to be a practical addition but are there any examples of original wartime issue jackets which were similarly modified ?

FreddyF9

Have to say I’m fine with the extra pocket.Especially as it looks to be an exact match done at the time the jacket was made by Aero and not just added on as an afterthought by someone less skilled.

There was an Aviation Leathercraft Irvin on eBay very recently which was clearly originally pocketless but to which someone had added two B3 style patch pockets. It was a little strange as the stitching looked to be OK but both the shape and positioning of the leather pockets wasn’t right. Neither matched and they were out by a fair way, with one even being sewn over a side seam.

As has been said the extra pocket on the Aero B3 does seem to be a practical addition but are there any examples of original wartime issue jackets which were similarly modified ?
I’ve never seen a WW2 era picture of a B-3 with such an alteration. On originals, you see every sort of repairs and patches and rarely the map pocket could be missing.
Usually, when you see extra pockets or other kind of modifications, they were done much later than the war era. That said, repros often have every sort of alterations. Especially the ones from the 70s-80s-90s