• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero Half-Belt Long in russett goat

A

Anonymous

A repeat of my post in the Fedora Lounge for those who aren't members. (Or is everyone here a member of the 'Lounge ?)

At last my HBL arrived.

As usual when I've bought a new leather jacket, I open the box and my heart sinks. Too clean, too new, no character and stiff. I took a few photos out of the box for posterity. (These I'll add later if there's interest).

I then make the decision to do or not to do a little hot water treatment. If I'm not happy to then the jacket goes back. Generally I have enough faith in makers like Aero and Eastman to go ahead.

Last night I did do the hot water treatment and hung the jacket up to dry. I've taken a few quick photos on my iPhone and here they are. Better quality ones will go on when I get time.

Initial thoughts are very positive. The great design of the HBL coupled with lovely grained goatskin. The box weighed about hallf of the weight of a FQHH version. For me that is a great plus. The jacket is also nowhere near as stiff.

I appreciate that there is a very strong fetish for horse hide here but I am a real fan of goat and feel it doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

I had it modified to have an A-2 collar with press studs for collar tips (Good for my motorbiking). Lined in mustard cotton as with an A-2. Internal windflap added. No storm cuffs. Shiny brass zippers.

10-06-220101.jpg

10-06-220103.jpg

10-06-220102.jpg

Cheers,
Dave

havocpaul

That's a mighty fine jacket, Dave! You've got more dare than I have to try hotwater treatment but results look great. I am also a fan of goatskin, I would controversually say I prefer WW2 goatskin A-2's to the horsehide ones especially as they seem to survive in much better state and are more comfortable to wear.

jack aranda

Great looking jacket, Dave (of course. It's an Aero :cool:) . We need to see some pics of you in it, and especially of the namesake of the jacket--the half-belt.

A

Anonymous

More photos :

Out of the box
IMG_2546.jpg

Dried out: No, I didn't dry it in the sun !! :eek:
IMG_2554.jpg

Worn:
IMG_2559.jpg

Dave

CBI

congrats on a nice jacket. Good work on the instant wear. Not sure I agree about the A-2 collar mod, perhaps it would look better unsnapped. But, overall very nice - wear in good health.

Tommer45

Very nice jacket. I love my LHB. How is it when you raise your arms up? Do the arm holes cause the jacket to ride up? That's the one drawback of mine, but not enough so as to cause me much concern. The goatskin looks great.. looks very comofortable.

Tommer

PADDY_M

Dave, GREAT fit on you. I like the length on it. As you know, Goat is such a strong material, it will no doubt outlast YOU, and I'm hoping you're going to live to a ripe old age! Think you might have an heirloom of a jacket to hand down there :)

Peter Graham

JACKET_ HEAD said:
A repeat of my post in the Fedora Lounge for those who aren't members. (Or is everyone here a member of the 'Lounge ?)
Not me Dave. I don't have the time. That is one superb half-belt. Full of character and it fits you a treat. Well done.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the favourable comments guys :) I agree Paddy: this is a keeper and my biggest problem is going to be keeping it away from my son ! I think he's hoping for my early demise so that he can get my watches and jackets ! :eek: I've had several FQHH Aeros in the past. One HBL and two Highwaymans (Highwaymen?). I love the appearance of the HH but I can't get past the thickness and stiffness of it. Goat, on the other hand, is much more practical and I don't risk a hernia every time I try to lift up a jacket like a FQHH HBL !

Tommer, the jacket doesn't ride up like yours at all. It really is a different animal ! I'll get some photos this weekend to try to show you what I mean. Oh, and I can also bend over and touch my toes whilst wearing it !

HH, CBI, I get what you are saying about the collar but here's my reasoning: every Aero I've ever had has had an oversize collar which on the horse ones always means that on a bike you can't look up as there's so much leather behind your neck and it's so stiff as to make it very uncomfortable. The smaller collar of the A-2 combined with the thinness and softness of the goat, solves that problem - for me.

The press studs are so that when going 'fast' on the bike, the tips don't flap about. Normally when I wear it (which isn't much given the weather we've been having :) ) is to have the collar loose and it does look better that way.

I'll get some photos of it worn with the collars snaps undone this weekend.

Pete, I only look at the Outerwear section on the FL myself. I [posted more on there as this forum is much more military oriented and the FL has a lot more non-mil' leather jacket posts. I assumed by the amount of double posts i see that quite a few members are on both. How's your weather in the beautiful Emerald Isle ?

Dave