• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero 21996 project

Andrew

I bought this amazing looking Aero about 6 months ago and just received it via Johnny Chapman today- The Seller wouldn't sell out of the US so it went straight to John which was beneficial as he's used it to check his pattern. I'd actually forgotten it was so long ago.

John believes it to be a 21996 and it has the most amazing leather with beautiful grain and colour/ tonal differences. It's a 44 and has been relined and cuffed etc a long time ago as even this is worn out, but all that is going to go and i'm going to have it relined with GW mustard lining, label and rust knits. I do still have to locate a zip though.

The bummer for me is that it's obviously at least a size too small, I can put it on but you know what happens when you move around etc so i'm not going to get the fun of wearing it. It's really short in the body. It won't stop me putting it on occasionally though. It will make an awesome wearer once refurbed as the leather is so thick and tough. I'll probably save it for when one of my lads is older and by 10 years it will be even more amazing (but then i could change my mind :) ).

(The arrival of this one has pushed my self imposed quota of 3 originals up to 4 so i'm pretty sure i'm now going to sell my "Six Hits and Miss" painted Aero. It's only a 38 so I can't wear it and it does belong in a really good collection.)

Thanks a million John for helping out!!

Here's the new Aero

small2.jpg

Collages7.jpg

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew whats the difference in inches between this jacket and one that you like the fit of .The jacket does not look to short in my opinion .Why dont you pull out the lining do the hot water treatment on it and wear it wet and see if you can stretch it out until it is comfortable wearing a sweat shirt underneath.While it is still wet hang it from the knits with weight in the shoulder .It might give enough to be a wearer and without the lining it would not resist the stretch process treatment .The jacket may not be that tight it could be a tight lining your feeling not the leather ,the lining I see in the picture seems heavy duty and thicker than normal for an A-2 and may well be cut smaller than the jacket .

All the best Jeff

Andrew

It's interesting but often fit looks fine in photos but doesn't feel right in reality however looking at these I tend to agree with you both.

I was thinking that in the day any guy my size who was given this jacket to wear would have been exstatic and I can think of plenty of period shots that look similar. I think we (well me really) are just spoilt for options and care too much about the feel/ look. However I don't normally wear high waisted pants which would work with this one, just jeans.

I'm just a tad bigger than JC and he also mentions it just misses the mark in terms of comfort for him also, but you know Jeff, that's an interesting idea once the old linings out- although i'm not crazy about the idea of HWTing an original though. Also, John's cut out the panels for the lining and if it did stretch a little perhaps they wont fit once sewn together? I'll certainly consider it though. What I will do however is continue to lose a few kg's myself.

Anyhow, it certainly tells you what a 21996 fits/ looks like and the combination of this one and another one exactly the same with label which John studied he now has the pattern nailed.

Thanks for the comments!

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew I bet there would be a big difference between the jacket measurements and the liner measurements on this jacket if layed side by side and compared and it would be mostly in the shoulder width and arm hole size and pit to pit .I feel the tightness is in the liner you have now ,remember original liners are like shirts and if its to tight a shirt it would feel uncomfortable and even more uncomfortable with this heavier material that is lining it now .Sort of a jacket over a jacket and god knows how we have to find that perfect fit with A-2 jackets ,a jacket with a short shoulder length and the game is over we cannot move .Get the liner made with its external measurement 1/2" bigger than the jackets and the arm holes slightly bigger and I think you would have a winner .Looking at the back& front view you posted I do not see a jacket that is to small its got to be that funky liner .I have researched my size of jacket that suits me best pit to pit ,shoulder ,body length ,and I have bought six A-2 jackets with the size parameters in mind,the one that fits me the best is barely 1/4" bigger in a couple of places .Lay all my jackets in a pile you would not see much difference anywhere .A-2 WW2 jackets styles are difficult jackets to get to fit .I would love to know how the Jacket fit was if you tried it on without the liner Good luck mate !

All the best from POHMie Bastard Jeff

Looks really good, Andrew but I know what you mean about size/fit thing. We're spoiled with custom fits and larger fitting jackets. Guys our size in WWII would have been lucky probably to get a 44 most of the time and told to like it!

TankBuster

Nice jacket Andrew. Aeros just have that thicker hide than most. They also have that
feel of being bullet proof. Most Aeros I have owned get that reddish undertone to the
leather which is one of my favorite aspects of a Original Aero A-2. Once you get the
Reddish Rust knits put on, it will look real nice.
Congrats!
Jeff

Andrew

Just read through the Leather Guide from Ebay that Tom posted. The leather of this jacket doesn't have any issues now but in light of this I think it would be best to keep water away from it;

".......absorption of excessive moisture can promote hydrolysis of the protein chains that form the collagen fibrils, resulting in shrinkage and the ultimate embrittlement of the object. (Hydrolysis is the decomposition of a chemical compound or structure by reaction with water.)
Finally, leather may be sewn or riveted to other materials that will respond to changes in humidity at a different rate than the leather, leading to cracking or splitting of the leather. Therefore a range of 35% to 70% RH is optimal. Monitoring and maintaining stable humidity levels is essential for promoting long-term preservation of leather artifacts........... It goes without saying that water will have the same effect on partially degraded vegetable-tanned leather. Water is also detrimental to untanned hides such as parchment, vellum and rawhide. Contact with water will cause these materials to cockle and/or shrink and the deformation is for all purposes permanent."

fishmeok

This is me in one of Tankbusters' Aeros, size 44. I agree with Peter about the fit, the 44 LOOKS great on a 6' or so frame, but it is too tight across the shoulder blades for daily comfortable wear. I've been running into this a lot with my jackets, the trickiest part of the pattern is making it fit while actually lifting your arms and stuff...

The reddish undertones are incredible, very like an M-422A.
Cheers
Mark

OriginalAero1.jpg

jack aranda

Indeed, leadsky, as jacketimp said, "What a beauty." A veritable Jessica Alba of leather jackets. :lol: Thanks for the pics.

jacketimp

jack aranda said:
Indeed, leadsky, as jacketimp said, "What a beauty." A veritable Jessica Alba of leather jackets. :lol: Thanks for the pics.

between jessica and 21996 i know my choice............

A

Anonymous

fishmeok said:
This is me in one of Tankbusters' Aeros, size 44. I agree with Peter about the fit, the 44 LOOKS great on a 6' or so frame, but it is too tight across the shoulder blades for daily comfortable wear. I've been running into this a lot with my jackets, the trickiest part of the pattern is making it fit while actually lifting your arms and stuff...

The reddish undertones are incredible, very like an M-422A.
Cheers
Mark

OriginalAero1.jpg

If there every was an argument over real versus repro this is it ,Thats one fine looking jacket
all the best Jeff .

TankBuster

Thanks! I love that jacket. It's a beauty. Belonged to a 15th AAF P-38 Pilot
with the 95th F.S. I don't really wear it. I have his whole wartime photo album.
Tons of great shots in there of Foggia, P-38's, flight gear, ect.....
I do however admit to slipping it on from time to time! ;) :D
The day Mark tried it on, that was the 1st time it had left the house :eek: ;)

jacketimp

TankBuster said:
Thanks! I love that jacket. It's a beauty. Belonged to a 15th AAF P-38 Pilot
with the 95th F.S. I don't really wear it. I have his whole wartime photo album.
Tons of great shots in there of Foggia, P-38's, flight gear, ect.....
I do however admit to slipping it on from time to time! ;) :D
The day Mark tried it on, that was the 1st time it had left the house :eek: ;)

it did find it's way back home............right? ;)

you know who to call if you want to float the groupo!