• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice needed on painting and ageing patches on a jacket

Peter Graham

Due to the economic climate my jacket buying is restricted to the odd bargain with the result that I'm having fun restoring and thinking up projects for jackets that I've had gathering dust for years in most cases. One jacket in question is a wartime civilian A-2 made by Windward that I've just pulled out of the garage, covered in mould. I bought this a long time ago. It had a horrible back painting that I eventually removed thanks to some magic potion that John Lever sent me. I thought this would make a good painting and patching project. I've never done a back painting and my artistic skills are pretty limited so it will have to be something simple. The jacket has a vintage patina so anything I do will have to blend in. I'm not even sure what theatre I'd like to portray but I'm leaning towards CBI. My questions are, what is the best paint to use and do I use bright colours then age them or start with the faded colours that I'd like it finish up like. If I use bright colours what is the best way to age them. Where patches are concerned, what's the best way to age them, leather and cloth ? A lot of questions I know, but someone's bound to have experience of this. Here's the jacket in question.

A-2008.jpg

A-2007-2.jpg

A-2006-2.jpg

A-2005-1.jpg

A-2004-2.jpg

A

Anonymous

Many different techniques. I have taken a painted patch, and put it in my jeans back pocket, it wore down the high points and edges like the patch would wear down on a jacket quite , took a couple of days. If you want a subtle patina, a company in the U.S called Tandy leather makes a water based product called eco-flow in different shades of brown, found also on ebay, just apply a light even coat, let it dry, and top coat with clear matt finish.