• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Accurately created 23rd FG Patch

a2jacketpatches

The first photo is the real deal 23rd Fg. The following photos are of my repop, not meant to be an exact facsimile of the original but more so an example of what an original might look like hot off the press. I didn't artificially aged it or touched it up after completion. The leather used is my best guess ( or anyone's guess ) as to being correct based on the texture. The border yellow is brown smooth grain cowhide leather painted with oil based yellow paint, the wings are white oil based painted goatskin, and the shield is navy blued dyed pigskin suede. Lots of little issues during construction that I could foresee, but did not let it concern me because it would be inaccurate to do so. I believe that period artists would just deal with a problem as it came and move on.

4n78thsby5n68ths.jpg

Accurate23rdFG001.jpg

Accurate23rdFG002.jpg

Accurate23rdFG003.jpg

Accurate23rdFG004.jpg

Some problems encountered-

1) paint not covering completely as in originals
2) paint being a bit sticky and preventing smooth operation under the foot of the sewing machine
3) some paint being disturbed because of the foot

As you can see, the end product is a reasonable representation of a what newly created theater made patch would look like. I believe that in time, this patch would wear down, paint smell would dissipate, and the color would flake off a bit. It would look as original as could be if applied to a brand new top notch repro A-2 and allowed to wear and tear together for a few years. In another 70 years, it would fool anyone.

So to any and all that require authentic materials and methods, the look of limited artistic ability, and the unforeseeable future of how it will hold up over time, it's as simple as placing a detailed order. As in the originals, there is no guarantee that the paint won't lift after you get rained on, or that it won't rub off on your car seat, fade color over time, etc.

I'm sure that any artist out there that is "overdoing" it, can recreate anything and everything a customer can dream up, from a super detailed Varga pin up, to a distorted B-17 that looks like someone painted it with their feet, just order it that way. Airbrush, paintbrush, whatever you choose, hell, I'll even fingerpaint it if you want.

The purpose of this project was to show that it is very easy to have the authentic look of original WW2 period patches and painted jackets reproduced accurately, but are you ready to stick it on your 1000- repro?

I didn't show my wife this patch until it was completed, you should have seen the look on her face when she said in her Thai accent " It is not beautiful" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Patch is being offered at my regular rate based on time involved, 75 bucks. Cheaper than an hour at Jiffy Lube

CBI

excellent work Sean!

Looks like I will be seeing this patch in person in a few days! :D

JDAM

Hmm, I think I recognize that. You've got the design, proportions, tiger and blue base nailed it seems, though that yellow is a wee bit chunky and yellow for my tastes.

a2jacketpatches

Anyone else? Not so much looking for opinions. But I am looking for detailed orders to suite personal taste.

The following images I found by a simple Google search. Very simple, not over done originals, would be reasonable in price because much less work, completely accurate in materials, yada yada yada.

Rather than criticize what what's been done or how, order what you want. Most opinions I see concerning modern a2 art is about a piece that wasn't done for you and you didn't pay for it. Just hearing a lot of talk about modern artists breaking the tradition of A2 art lately, so giving all a chance to put your money and expensive jacket where your mouth is. I think it's safe to speak for any artist that "overdo" a piece, and say that they can accommodate much less complicated artwork requests as well. Order away

a2002.jpg

051-1.jpg

016-18.jpg

post-51189-1342217993.jpg