• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AAF Glove Project

dmar836

The classic B-3's flight glove reproductions available online are wrong, just wrong. I have never owned a pair but whether from Garcia or elsewhere, they are all incorrect compared to the originals not only in style of construction but in assembly technique as well. I know this may not matter to most as those B-3s may be quite functional.

To my knowledge there are no groups that critique AAF glove repros like we do the A-2 yet I was disappointed to see that the methods of old are apparently lost. Well, I cannot see a practical way to assemble them correctly with the equipment I have(beyond the scope if this) BUT, alas, the A-11 gloves are doable with standard equipment.

I have a great pair of A-11s (seal color) with fourchettes(gussets between the fingers) in a contrasting color(russet). Mine have no OD webbing straps on the back but are elasticized instead. They are still right as rain and I thought I would pattern them in a size 9-10. Functional as-is, I extended the fingers about 1/4" to make them fit a bit better. Hey, why not make this harder?

Like the B-3s, the A-11 has a thumb that runs all the way down to the cuff - one place where the replica B-3s are wrong in construction.

Issues: The elastic makes patterning the palm side and thumb a big challenge. The thumb is quite different than any pattern I've ever seen so I bet I will have several iterations before it's right.................if the fire lasts(....... please last!). Also, the fourchettes, usually a separate "V" between each two fingers, are here a continuous piece but retain the necessary "V" shape at each finger's web and also gradually taper to each tip so this will be an odd shape piece for sure and will be trial and error... lots of error.
It's amazing that for something so thrown together back then, we can't/won't reproduce the techniques today.

IMG_8013.jpg

BTW, the single malt was necessary at this point for what should be obvious reasons.

Like I need more projects,
Dave

P.S. The backdrop is new pig - not for the gloves but for my B-1 sweatbands. It's about sewing season again!

Falcon_52

That's quite a project. I'm not sure if I have the patience to do something like that...although the whiskey would definitely help things along. :D Best of luck; looking forward to the see the result.

Noel

dmar836

Thanks guys. Tom, no. Unfortunately there is just too much cost with the time involved. There is also quite a learning curve to becoming efficient at any new thing.... that's even once you've become effective!
I would be interested to hear from anyone who has purchased the B-3 repros offered. For $39 or so, they're are dirt cheap for what it would cost to make a pair.
Dave

fishmeok

VERY neat project. I know how difficult it is to try and figure something like this out from scratch. I assume you would need some sort of post machine to finish these properly. Not a minor purchase these days...

Cheers
Mark

Phantomfixer

Aside from my BR A-10s, I like to wear these USAF issue gloves. I imagine when the A-2 was reintroduced to the AF inventory, a contract was put out for these gloves. The tag reads
GLOVES. SHELL, HAU-6/P
DLA100-87-C-4168
8415-00-261-4769
NETZ GLOVE & MITTEN CO.
They even came with a silk liner with wool cuffs. Not a spot on repro of the B-3 but comfortable.
John
IMG_2103.jpg

Willy McCoy

I have seen many gloves over the years on auction sites but have been pretty put-off when it comes to bidding on them. For an example, I see many pairs that are "size" 3-6 and go to glove fitting charts and they state "3, 4, 5, 6" as size "small" and up to 9 as medium. I measured my palm(s) and they come out to 9in. around. Does anyone have a U.S. military size chart for gloves?