• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 on ebay uk

joeson

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/A2-leather-jacket ... dZViewItem

Went to have a look at this jacket today.The pictures were quite dark,so difficult to tell from the listing what we are looking at.I thought it might be a decent repro with a lame paint job.
In the flesh,an obvious copy,really soft flimsy leather with a horrible 'cappucino' colour all over.Label looks to have been removed yesterday.Pointed out that it was definitely a copy,probably 80's/90's.Seller has yet to revise the listing.Shall we take bets?

havocpaul

I think I know who this seller is, a dealer in militaria for some years allegedly and I would expect his knowledge would extend to what this jacket is, he hasn't listed incorrectly as such, but it is left ambiguous and could well catch out a 'novice' collector. An obvious repro and not that old either which I am sure he knows!

joeson

havocpaul said:
I think I know who this seller is, a dealer in militaria for some years allegedly and I would expect his knowledge would extend to what this jacket is, he hasn't listed incorrectly as such, but it is left ambiguous and could well catch out a 'novice' collector. An obvious repro and not that old either which I am sure he knows!
Thanks,that was the point I was making.He claims to know nothing about American stuff,but dosen't amend the listing when he is educated.

Roughwear

havocpaul said:

Yes a repro indeed. Most likely a Willis and Gieger 1980s/90s A2.

joeson

Roughwear said:
havocpaul said:

On inspecting the jacket,I would say more likely L.L.Bean.The Quality of the leather gives it the feel of vinyl.

Roughwear

joeson said:
Roughwear said:
havocpaul said:

On inspecting the jacket,I would say more likely L.L.Bean.The Quality of the leather gives it the feel of vinyl.

You may be correct, but having owned examples of both jackets this one is remarkably similar to the Willis and Geiger I owned. From the poor photos it appears to have W&G features such as dark stitching, colour of the lining, shape of pockets, collar, wide epaulets and even the Gripper zipper. The leather is the typical smooth, buttery HH too.