• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 jacket fit - honest opinions requested

PADDY_M

Just accept what the QM would have thrown at you & wear it hard. They both look great :) Honest!

Marv

thanks chaps, I was only going to take one A2 with me to Legends and I am leaning towards the GW, going to wear it continuously from now until the airshow and see how it progresses.

Persimmon

Remember, you would probably have worn a shirt and a A4 flight suit underneath it.

But we don't these days.
We tend to want them to fit us as normal. No flight suits , parachutes etc.

It's almost like just ordering a jacket from Goodwear and saying don't worry about the size. Just make it. Here's my £1000 plus and if it fits great. If not. Great. I am still going to wear it.

Just wearing it is fine if it fits and you feel confortable wearing it.
That is the key. The fact the question was asked and the HWT done speaks volumes.
You could have the best A2 ever made but if it's too big ( in your mind ) you won't wear it.

Every time I see this thread I am reminded of a woman / wife asking those dreaded questions.
"Do I look good in this dress"
" Do I look big in this .... "

The answers are always no you don't and yes you do.
But I am not , I tell myself, going to tell her that !!

767fo

You need to wear it and enjoy it. The fit won't get any better. Marv, you have a great A2!!

bseal

Contrarian here. HWT or "the surge" is working.

As you mentioned, you ordered the bespoke item when you were a different size & weight.

Congrats on your weight loss.

If you chose to sell the GW later because it no longer fits your now more slender physique, please apprise interested buyers of precisely how many HWTs were performed.

As Kurt Russell says in the film Miracle,
"Again."

Marv

thanks guys, appreciate the honest comments I really do.

I just wanted to post a photo to show how the HWT treatment I gave the GW has really brought out the grain in the horsehide, not just on the pocket but it's pretty much the same all over with the lighter russet tones beginning to show through on the high spots and natural creases.

That's it now, i'll stop posting any more photos I promise :)

2jakes

2eyhy8l.png

I like the Dubow because it has just enough trim & still be comfortable to wear.
The RW appears to have a more pronounced trim & I feel I would be limited to what
I could wear underneath that jacket.

Just my 2¢ !

Garylafortuna

Dubow 20960 and Rough Wear (all contracts) are I believe the two most beautiful designs in all of A-2dom. They both have the stand collar, but I really like the RW because of the extra fullness at the lower waist. Not very fond of the slim slim look. You are a brave man Marv. I would be scared poopless to attempt a HWT on a jacket that required that I take a second mortgage on my house to buy. Looks like it turned out very well.

2jakes

Several years ago, I attempted some “home-made” remedy to a leather jacket.

All I can say is that fortunately, it wasn’t a very expensive jacket.
(probably that’s why it didn’t work...cheap leather)

But I will never, ever do something to any of my fine $$$ jackets.
Even if Mr. Good-to-Wear himself swears that it’s ok ! :cool:

My method of breaking-in is to simply wear it. And during the
periods that are not cold. I place it on my favorite chair
or under my pillow. I love the aroma of leather.
In no time, the leather takes on a nice vintage look.

I’ve read (not sure who) either Lindbergh or Earhart, would sleep with
their jacket to hasten the worn- look !

Last edited:

2jakes

Totally agree...looks great !

Btw:
I just realized that you’re in England!

My favorite tennis tournament...Wimbledon!

I love everything about the place. Their was a time when the
British would broadcast the matches on the telly over here
for us in the U.S.
That was the best.
They knew when to speak & when to keep quiet & gave us
credit that we knew about tennis.

Today, we have Johnny Mac explaining every single point
as if we are ignorant viewers.

Last edited: