• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 in use by special operation unit

dujardin

hello,

just 3 photos of our favorite jacket in use by member of the famous unit FSSF.
taken in training at Fort Harrison , Helena, Montana.

scan0008.jpg

fortHarrisonMontana.jpg

traininginMontana.jpg

byeeeeeeeee marcel

Andrew

Great find Marcel, the last one is an interesting look. I wonder what the reasoning was behind using A-2's instead of normal combat jackets.

Were these guys selected from airborne troops possibly?

Another thing, despite it being snowy, 6 of the 7 are unzipped.

RudyN

Thanks for the nice pictures, they are very good. As an aside, I happen to have a Mountain Troop Rucksack dated 1943 I managed to get opff of e-bay and it has all the parts still with it.

Chandler

Leadsky said:

I'm guessing they just finished some grueling PT.

Marcel, where did you find these great shots? I have a great history on the FSS Force, but the pictures are all fairly boring.

Chandler

Chandler

Leadsky said:

Hmm, the troop kneeling at far right has his A-2 drooped over his knee -- and does the soldier standing second from the right have his tied around his waist?

You can see the images a little bigger at the link Marcel added.

Chandler

Swing

Leadsky said:

Just because there's snow on the ground doesn't mean it's freezing cold. It's sunny out and a little sun goes a long way in the winter.

~Swing

A

Anonymous

Just goes to show how little respect these guys had for their A-2s !! Who would wear one of our repros even like that ? Tabbing over the hills and weraing load carrying harness over the top ! It's hardly a practical jacket for that sort of thing. And certainly not for jackets that are sized tight as in 'The Look' ..........................

Nice photos Marcel, merci des nous venir !

J_H

Chandler

I wore my ELC 1401 with a backpack while trudging various spots around southern Germany and Austria.

Wore my FS similarly in Ireland too. Why not break 'em in heartily?

Chandler

Lignemaginot

Chandler said:
I wore my ELC 1401 with a backpack while trudging various spots around southern Germany and Austria.

Wore my FS similarly in Ireland too. Why not break 'em in heartily?

Chandler

I agree - beat the living snot out of a repro; it can only look better. I wore an ELC repro for an entire ski season. Thing got wet, got dry, got wet, got dry, got soaked in beer, slept in, etc, etc. At the end of the season, someone bought it off of me cos it was "cool."