• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 Horsehide rainproofing

MikeyB-17

Unless you get caught out, if it’s likely to rain, wear something waterproof. If any of mine mine get wet, I just regard it as another part of the breaking-in process. All of mine have looked better for being rained on. Wouldn’t enter my head to apply anything to waterproof them.

Micawber

What needs to be said has been said so forgive me if I waffle for a bit.

I have worn virtually all my jackets, past and present, in all weathers while doing all sorts of things. Some hides will shrink if they get wet, some stretch, some become grainy, others smooth, some will crease heavily, some loose finish, others will act like a sponge and wick moisture through to the inside while others the rain will bead on the surface.

Basically the possibilities are many because of the fact it's a natural product and will have undergone numerous processes before being patterned into pieces and sewn together to form a garment - mindful of course that those pieces may not be from the same hide. I have had garments from the same maker react differently to getting wet, or areas of the same garment. There are no hard and fast rules when there are just so many variables involved.

Having stripped / re-dyed/ refinished umpteen jackets and other leather items of various ages over many years I can say that there are no guarantees as to how this or that bit of leather - leather that has already undergone several processes during production and subsequent wear and possible 'conditioner" - will react to this or that product and treatment or how long the results are going to last. Yes there are generalities but no certainties. For example; if someone states that they have applied this or that acrylic or solvent or whale blubber laced with fairy dust based finish by brushing, wiping or spraying on this or that leather garment and says the finish is great and more damp resistant than previously and as a result someone else thinks "great, I'll do the same to my expensive repro A-2" - but then finds the finish turns hazy / becomes sticky / dries / cracks and peels after storage / being in the sun / getting wet / being caught in a snowstorm etc etc etc - that person with the expensive repro [or God forbid original] may not be too chuffed at the recommendation.

Of course the same applies to leather conditioners, polishes, colourings or other means of "renovation" - as has been discussed ad infinitum here and elsewhere over the years.

Without having an item in hand and having the experience and ability to judge the possible outcomes [bearing in mind there are no guarantees], the only way to find out if such and such will work on this or that is to try it and see - preferably on an out of sight test patch first. BUT you have to accept that things might go tits up either when you are carrying out the work or at some stage thereafter.

So what can be implied from the above? Basically mindful of the lack of detailed info, I won't be saying apply this or that to the OP's jacket.

Here endeth this morning's sermon. My manager / agent will be taking bookings in the office :D;)

flyincowboy

The best for the heavy rain is to wear a rain coat. Like the fisherman do . Obviously it's waterproof .if wearing your A2 dont worry if you get soaked ...and let the jacket dry on you ....and the jacket will fit perfectly like molded on your body .

Last edited:

Chandler

Anyway, I wore it just as I would my old Avirex jacket, walking the 13 blocks from the bar to home in torrential rain. In the Avirex, I might get damp through the shoulder seams. In the Eastman, I was totally drenched and my white t-shirt was completely orange. The leather was no worse for the wear after it dried out about two days later, but it sure soured me on veg tanned, anniline finished jackets.
Are you sure you have your timeline right? I remember the aniline jackets were introduced well after I bought my ELC (mine was pre-Golden Book).

I remember forum members at that time fretting over the spotting rain would cause, but it was never permanent -- and I don't recall any complaints of stain running off.

I even met up for coffee with another local forum member who had the "new" 1401 in aniline. I liked it a lot, thought it would patina nicely, but it seemed a little fragile. I felt I'd be babying it a lot -- something I never do with mine.

Maybe ELC experimented with aniline earlier and gave up for a while? I also had a 27752 from ELC from the same vintage that was made from identical hide (just the darker finish).

Chandler

I also had a 27752 from ELC from the same vintage that was made from identical hide (just the darker finish).
For reference:
H7sbUWb.jpg

Southoftheborder

Whether a jacket will be badly affected by being made sodden as apposed to just getting a bit wet depends to a large degree on its tanning. In other words whether it's chrome tanned or vegetable tanned.

I've washed lots of chrome tanned leather garments and even put well made ones in the washing machine. But I wouldn't do that to a vegetable tanned one. I am also careful not to get my veg tanned jackets too wet in heavy rain but would have no problem wearing chrome tanned jackets in the same conditions as far as damage to the jacket goes. If I didn't mind getting soaked to the skin that is.

But that's what raincoats are for and at my age I can do without getting pneumonia.

Juanito

Are you sure you have your timeline right? I remember the aniline jackets were introduced well after I bought my ELC (mine was pre-Golden Book).

I remember forum members at that time fretting over the spotting rain would cause, but it was never permanent -- and I don't recall any complaints of stain running off.

I even met up for coffee with another local forum member who had the "new" 1401 in aniline. I liked it a lot, thought it would patina nicely, but it seemed a little fragile. I felt I'd be babying it a lot -- something I never do with mine.

Maybe ELC experimented with aniline earlier and gave up for a while? I also had a 27752 from ELC from the same vintage that was made from identical hide (just the darker finish).
I should clarify--semi-aniline; not pigment finished, as confirmed by Charles of HPA at the time.

Chandler

I should clarify--semi-aniline; not pigment finished, as confirmed by Charles of HPA at the time.
My best recollection based on other circumstances of the day (wish I could find the receipts) is that I bought my 1401 from Charles in 1993 or '94 (yeah, the russet RW above is 30 years old). A custom fit from wide shoulders to trim waist.

The anilines (don't recall mention of "semi") that were all the talk of the internet were introduced in 1999 or 2000 -- but my recollection is rusty.

Waco CG4A

First of all Mxhe x welcome to the forum. I just re upped a few months ago but I can tell you if you are serious about this hobby there is a wealth of knowledge here. Don't ever hesitate to ask a question. As far as your concern about water proofing horsehide I had the same question about my first A-2.
I had a college Professor who repeated an old adage " there is no such thing as a stupid question". The only thing stupid is a question unasked.