• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 Advertisement from 1941 Flying Magazine: Questions..

wop54

Hi Everybody!
I'm new in this forum and a curious person, that's why I keep on posting questions! :oops:
In the below link there's an Aero's A2 Advertisement from 1941 "Flying Magazine". That brings me to the following questions:
1) Did those US Regulation Flying Jackets have the same Military's labels and specs?
2) If that's the case, how many of the originals still around could be civilians?
3) Could airmen always keep their A2s once they left the Army?
Thanks for your most appreciated answers to my probably "naive" questions!!!!
Cheers, Carlo
link: http://www.porthalcyon.com/features/200502/a2.shtml

Roughwear

As far as question 1 is concerned I have posted a thread in the Vintage section about a private purchase Aero. It would appear to be the same jacket as in the advert. The only difference is the label. My jacket, which was bought by the vet through the post from Aero, has their civilian label. In other respects the Aero is the same as their contract jackets from 1942-3. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3134

There is absolutely no way anyone can answer your second question. Whatever the regs many did keep them, though I know some vets removed the USAAF spec label because it had "property of" on it.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
wop54 said:
1) Did those US Regulation Flying Jackets have the same Military's labels and specs?

As Andrew says, the war time Aero civilian jackets had quite different labels ... the same applies to other contempory makers like McGregor Sportswear (Doniger).

The specifiction labels, with invented order numbers etc, came later.

Burnsie

Oddly enough I just posted this ad over on the FL...surely Andrew does have one of these so his pics should have answered some of your questions already...viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3134
aero.jpg

Peter Graham

I noticed at the bottom of that advert that they state that Aero was a contractor to the US Navy. I don't think Aero made garments for the Navy, did they ?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Peter Graham said:
I don't think Aero made garments for the Navy, did they ?

Nothing that I've ever seen.

Here's the label from a civilian Aero A-2, currently being offered by Snyder's Treasures ....

A2QueenSkiesLabel.jpg

wop54

Roughwear said:
As far as question 1 is concerned I have posted a thread in the Vintage section about a private purchase Aero. It would appear to be the same jacket as in the advert. The only difference is the label. My jacket, which was bought by the vet through the post from Aero, has their civilian label. In other respects the Aero is the same as their contract jackets from 1942-3. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3134

There is absolutely no way anyone can answer your second question. Whatever the regs many did keep them, though I know some vets removed the USAAF spec label because it had "property of" on it.
Thanks! I think your post answers my question. And congratulation on your original, I like it so much!!! Cheers, Carlo

Chandler

Interesting "depiction" on that ad -- shoulders are as square as my G&B A-2, but I've never seen any originals or other repros that straight.

Chandler