• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Two-Airmen Mackinaw

ciddu

Hello everybody
Airmen Mackinaw? well, I know, such a beast doesn't exist, but I'm here to share a few pics of my last catch on ebay.
I was looking for a good Jeep Coat, a wearer much more than an exhibition item - not that I was thinking to wear it on an everyday basis, but I just like to have the chance to do it if I ever would - and this one showed up on ebay: a second pattern Mackinaw, great conditions, It was even the right size for me!
At first the seller didn't want to ship it abroad, but after a couple of runs with no bids he thought better, and I became the new owner of the jacket.
From the pics I saw that the jacket had a name written on the inside, and from the ebay invoice I noticed that the seller had the same surname: sure it was worth some inquiry, so I asked him if he happened to know anything about the original owner.
He didn't seem very willing to share any information about it, but after a few polite questions he wrote me:
" The Mackinaw first belonged to my uncle's roommate in England where they flew B-17s over Europe, and the roommate gave it to my uncle when he (Asteline) rotated back to the US after flying his 25 missions. My uncle, George Holliday, wore it from 1944-45, and after the war's end, he gave it to my father, who then gave it to me years ago."
So that's it: a Two - Airmen Mackinaw, a jacket with two names inside and a story! Lucky me!
The downside is that now that it is a bi-named jacket with history, it would be a shame to wear it, so... maybe I'll need another Mackinaw!

mackinaw.jpg

mackinaw3.jpg

mackinaw8.jpg

mackinaw17.jpg

mackinaw12.jpg

mackinaw13.jpg

Tim P

Well ownership of an original mackinaw is the same principle as ownership of an original a2 or similar. At the front does superb repros. preserve the original and enjoy the quality repro without guilt.
or wear the original and just be careful with it. ;)

ciddu

If I'll ever wear it I'll be VERY careful!
I appreciate your advice, and sure originality and a traceable history are invaluable, and not very common on such a "humble" kind of jacket.
The repros are amazing - I think someone tries to pass repros as original on ebay - but all of them seem to be "first pattern", with the wool neck.
I'm not a "repro man"... I think I'll end up wearing the same old everyday jackets, and maybe just once in a while try it on special occasions.