• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A tale of two jackets

MikeyB-17

Several years ago, at a gig (Pixies, I think), I saw a chap wearing what I was fairly sure was an ELC G-1, along with a pair of classic Red Wing moc toes. I very much liked the look, and ever since I have coveted an ELC G-1. The Red Wings I ticked off a few years ago, but as we know, ELC prices are somewhat elevated from what they were back in the good old days, which has had a knock-on effect on used prices, so I was never able to find a G-1 at a decent price.
Earlier this year, my old mate Peter Graham advertised an older size 42 ELC G-1 on the book of faeces. It was the usual scenario-no, no, I can’t afford it, it’s not a good time, etc. etc.
Weeks passed, and he didn’t seem to be getting any nibbles. Eventually I could stand it no longer, and messaged him to ask if he still had it. Long story short, he did, and having sold a guitar I purchased it from him-one of many we’ve bought and sold over the years. I was gambling that it would fit-I was a 42 for many years, these days I’ve put on a bit, and am nearer a 44, but ELC’s of those days tended to be a bit more generous-my size 42 ELC A-2 of a similar age fits me fine. The great day dawned, it arrived, and bugger! Although I could zip it up, it was definitely too tight around the middle. The different, more athletic cut of Navy jackets vomited on my eiderdown. Otherwise I loved it, and determined, rather than move it on, to shift some weight so that it would fit better. I started to do that, and I think I was doing OK-but then a new development occurred. Stephen210 on this very forum asked if anyone had the measurements of a size 42 ELC G-1. I did! I provided them, and expressed an interest in a swap with anyone who owned a size 44. It turns out he had just such a jacket, of a similar vintage, and having lost some weight was in the market for a size 42. Chances of that happening! Had to be done. I duly packaged my jacket up and sent it off to Oklahoma. A couple of days later Steve did the same. I posted mine on the 22nd June, and he messaged me on the 27th say it had arrived, and fitted much better than his. I waited with bated breath for his to arrive. I heard nothing until the 30th (by now I knew the tracking number by heart), when it arrived in Jamaica, New York. Then a flurry of activity, Newark airport, then Heathrow, then Coventry. Then it was being held at a local depot awaiting customs charges. I waited for a letter, which didn’t arrive for three days, and finally emailed them asking what I owed and when could I have my parcel? I got a reply saying I owed £102, which I confess I was a bit shocked by. Still, I wasn’t going to get my jacket without it, so I bit the bullet. I had to go out the next day so I missed the delivery, and I finally collected it from the post office the next day, the 13th July.
It was all worth it. I can zip it up without having to breathe in, and I love it. I particularly like the beautiful, thin, supple goatskin-I’ve been thinking for a while that lighter hides are the way to go, rather than the heavier hides I always thought were what I wanted. It’s so much easier to wear, and thanks to a bit of a breeze lately, I’ve been able to get away with wearing it. The scalloped pocket flaps are a particularly nice touch. It goes very well with the Red Wings too. It’s funny that a jacket made in Devon went all the way to Oklahoma, and has now found its way back to Cornwall, only about an hour from where it was made.
So a big thank you to Steve for his willingness to swap, and his cooperation and excellent communication throughout the whole process. The extended delivery time for my jacket was no fault of his, just a reflection of the quirks of US and British postal services, and the vicissitudes of our wonderful Revenue and customs. I have to say this has reinforced my intention to stop buying from the US, or indeed anywhere else abroad-I’ve been hammered for import tax on goods from both the US and Europe in the last twelve months. Still, I consider myself extremely fortunate to find somebody with the exact jacket I needed, especially such an old one, who was willing to swap, and we have both come away well pleased with the experience.
IMG_2616.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2688.jpeg
    IMG_2688.jpeg
    973.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2663.jpeg
    IMG_2663.jpeg
    929.1 KB · Views: 84

MikeyB-17

Looks Great Mike!! Again I really appreciate the great exchange and communication. Sorry about the tax bit
I am so pleased with the fit of the 42.
Thank you Sir!View attachment 114617
And the same to you Sir! I was half expecting the customs hit anyway, our beloved Revenue and Customs seldom miss an opportunity to screw us, and it was no fault of yours-you did exactly the same as me. I still consider myself to have gotten a bargain. As Burt says, it’s what this place is all about. Wear it in good health!