• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Pilot's 1967 Rolex GMT-Master

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Clyde from Carolina said:
It would be very cool if you could retro fit the new hairspring .....

I'm sure that it's possible, but I think it very unlikely that Rolex will offer the service.

And there's nothing wrong with the Nivarox hairspring that Rolex have been using up until now .... to change it would be an unnecessay expense, and I don't believe that you would notice any difference.

A

Anonymous

Nah, I'll leave mine 'au natural'. I didn't buy it for great timekeeping - for the ruggedness only. Isn't the joke that you can tell a genuine Rolex by how it doesn't keep great time ? :D It's all relative. What are a few minutes here and there anyways ?

Personally, for me, to change the spring for a new one would be like putting a modern patch on an original A-2. Any upgrade like that devalues the article.

J_H

A

Anonymous

I think you are incorrect about Rolex watches not keeping good time. Mine runs to COSC standard and if not, a service and regulation by a watch maker is all that is required. Also I dont think the GMT is as shock proof as other models like the Submariner.

Even older model Rolex watches are brought back to COSC standard when serviced by Rolex. Thats why they hold their value. IMHO.

watchmanjimg

The GMT is just as shockproof as any other Rolex of similar vintage. However, it is less water-resistant than the Submariner and Sea-Dweller. Regarding timekeeping, it has been my experience that Rolex watches in general are a bit more finicky than other brands. While it's true that the factory service centers do good work, I've known plenty of people who have been disappointed with the performance of their Rolex. I think part of the problem is that expectations are higher given the price (and hype) associated with the brand, but in any case I've found that the cheaper ETA-derived movements found in Breitling, Omega, and others typically provide more consistently reliable timekeeping than many Rolexes I've encountered.

A

Anonymous

ETA movements seem good value and very accurate.

I have only had two Rolex watches and both have kept excellent time, within COSC standards. Submariner from the eighties and now my 16710 GMT.

Service, lube, replacing worn or damaged parts and regulation would solve most problems with accuracy I would think.

Do we have any no shit watchmakers on our forum?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
wing nut said:
Do we have any no sh*t watchmakers on our forum?

Don't look at me .... I just employ one, but my experiences are similar to yours.

I have them serviced when I buy them, I sell them with a warranty, and it's unusual to ever see them again, unless they're traded back.

A

Anonymous

Very nice.

They do seem to hold their value and I think they are very acurate watches IMHO. (After service/regulation).