• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Doniger - my first Goodwear......

johnwayne

..........arrived yesterday! I was after an A1 on John's 'Sale' page but transpired it would have been too small. After seeing John's work some time ago when buying am original from Roughwear, I knew I had to have one! I mentioned to John that Velli offered to sell me his A2 but again would have been too small - John said he had a correct size for me and after a series of emails he sent it Tuesday and it's now proudly in my posession. Wise use of teminology on the customs forms (thanks John) meant no VAT, it was 'technically' used after all and I am so pleased with it.
So very different from my ELC's, I'd have to say truer to an original fit but, it feels so right - an early Christmas present to myself you could say!! All the wife could say was "What, not another brown leather jacket" but then it is A2 no.5!!!!!
They just don't understand do they!!!
One happy VLJ'er
Regards
Wayne

Weasel_Loader

I congratulate you on the purchase. Hope it brings tons of smiles to your face as mine does. Now lets see the pics!!! ;)

johnwayne

Hmm......will do, once I've mastered getting pics on this site!!
However, this is the jacket as per John sent me prior to committing to buy:-
http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/Doniger_01_44/
Trouble is I'm hooked now - I do want an A1 so poss going to be selling my ELC1401 to finance it - it's a patched 319th FS - watch the Buy/Sell board (when I can do the pics that is)!!!!!

cheers
Wayne

Jason

The Doniger, one of Johns first patterns, looks very smart I think - congratulations!
Do you recall what description was used for the Customs form? That could be useful for others

Weasel_Loader

johnwayne said:
Trouble is I'm hooked now - I do want an A1 so poss going to be selling my ELC1401 to finance it - it's a patched 319th FS - watch the Buy/Sell board (when I can do the pics that is)!!!!!

cheers
Wayne

I feel the same way. I just don't dare say that around my wife. ;)

johnwayne

"Do you recall what description was used for the Customs form? That could be useful for others"

"Used military jacket"! I think John said it was worn for a couple of hours - still smells like new leather though!!

Thanks for the pics tips too guys - when I get some time I'll have a go

Wayne

johnwayne

Re: A Doniger - my first Goodwear......the continuing story

I wore my jacket for the first time last week to a drinks evening at some friends - was reluctant to take it off and leave it with everyone else's jackets/coats etc tossed aside in the spare room -I'm sure some of you know the feeling? Anyhow when I came to leave I proudly donned my jacket again and one guy said to me "Wow, nice jacket, not original is it, it looks a bit too good!". Surprised in his interest I launched into a mini spiel as to my 'passion' and he responded "I've got an original - I used to do business with Willis & Gieger in NY (he's in woolens/textiles apparently) and I got one from them - it was a good few years ago though"!!
At that point I decided not get into a debate - I was going home anyway plus the beers had got the better of me!!!

Cheers

Wayne

Weasel_Loader

I sure do remember those W&G debates. Can't remember the seller on ebay that pleaded with everyone about his original WW2 W&G jacket.

Roughwear

Weasel_Loader said:
I sure do remember those W&G debates. Can't remember the seller on ebay that pleaded with everyone about his original WW2 W&G jacket.

I remember the debate here too. It was the best W&G A2 which I have ever seen.

Congrats on the Doniger. If I didn't have too many collecting passions/obsessions, my wife might be a little more understanding.

Alas, the jackets are the least of my worries. :shock:

johnwayne

Ive now had the opportunity to wear the jacket a few times and it's
feeling better each time, a totally different fit to my ELC's - really down to the closer cut armholes and more true fit shoulders plus the more softer (for want of a better word) goatskin compared to the steer of my main ELC - a 1995 'house' (not horse!!!) that is quite thick by comparison! It really feels quite special wearing it -up there with my original Dubow!!

cheers
Wayne