• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 Nametag Thread

RagTopPilot

Question: what thread would you recommed using to affix a name tag to an A-2? If it matters, the jacket is a RMNZ Dubow in russet and the name tag is a bit darker but close to the jacket's shade.

I'm sure these were originally sewn with whatever thread was available and would guess that to be OD? Any chance I'll get an accurate/authentic enough job by having my local leather guru sew it on with some modern OD thread? Or should I look to order some thread from MASH or scour Ebay for something more appropriate? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It is nice to have a jacket to be asking about again. I've been the occassional lurker here for months but haven't been active since the last site crash. I think that was around the time of Senicko's departure and the dust up over the guy who was pretending to be an ex-Navy pilot. Everyone playing nicely these days?

Thanks in advance for your help guys.

nogbat

ive had a couple sewn on in a local taylor shop, they were both a2s and the taylor used dark thread on the seal a2 , and as i asked he used a lighter thread on my elc 1401 russet , but to be fair ime the only one who notices... :lol:

RagTopPilot

Thanks guys. I think I'm squared away now. OD or Russet cotton thread is what I'll go with.

I live two blocks from the Marine Barracks here in DC and there's this old master tailor right across the street from the main gate. He's been able to help out on repairs to my pinks and greens and of course my khaki Marine service uniform. I'm sure he'll fix me up on this as well.

And I may very well be the only one who will notice. But that's what counts right?