• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 nametag format

A

Anonymous

hi,
I am not sure if this has been discussed before.

I recall something that the regulation was that the name on the nametag
to be the initial of the first name and the last name in full
i.e. T. STRIKER
what if the pilot had a middle name?
what's the correct form?
T. W. STRIKER ?
or perhaps
TED W. STRIKER

and was the rank stated on the name tag? (I don't think so)
e.g. CAPT. T. STRIKER

what is the pilot had a nickname ?
have there been cases where the nickname was also on the tag?
I know it's not official but those guys were risking their lives everyday, nobody could touch them for small things like that or if they were not shaved etc.

e.g. TED "THE FLASH" STRIKER

Opinions?
Thanks.

shedonwanna

Without spending a lot of time uploading images we can easily say "yes". I believe the accepted and most common was both initials and last name. My files are full of examples that include every variation you mentioned plus some. Full names, rank, nickname...

Silver Surfer

all of the above+name in chinese in the cbi, rank, different sizes, etc. little ones, big ones, cloth, leather, painted, embossed, stamped,,,,,on and on . the rule? no rule.

EMBLEMHUNTER

There were "Regs" for them , just like Squadron and Goup patches being of certain size ,placing , content allowed, if it was "approved" or not, submitted for "approval" , worn reguarless of "approval" or not, etc etc , but just like everything back then, they didn't follow the "Regs" and as mentioned there were all sorts of variations etc ...................................

Russ 27752

Hi Platon, FNG here...my second post on VLJ:

According to the U.S. Army Air Forces Illustrated Catalog, Class 13, dated September 30, 1943, the USAAF specification for leather name tags on flying jackets and flight suits is as follows:

5/8" W x 4" L strip of heavy leather;
1/4" H* UPPER CASE letters with exception of "C" in some names (e.g., T.E. McCOY)
Name Format: First Initial of First Name (period), First Initial of Middle Name (period), Full Last Name (e.g., T. W. STRIKER)

* 3/16" H UPPER CASE letters are used for longer names

The USAAF nomenclature for this item is:
Name Plate - Leather, STOCK NO. 8300-601000, (NOTE: Leather patch for flying jackets and suits. Issued four per man).

Also, please note that what others have written about the name plate is correct.

Many name plates sewn on jackets and flight suits were theater made and did not necessarily adhere to the Class 13 specifications. Many name plates seen in the MTO had embossed wings (gunner, bombardier, pilot, etc.) above the name, some tags had the aircrewman's nick name, and many CBI name plates were embossed or incised with the aircrewman's name in Chinese.

While there are many variations of the name plate that are historically correct, the only name plate that meets WWII USAAF specifications is Stock No. 8300-601000.

In my experience, all of the reproduction name plates I have seen do not meet the original WWII USAAF specification. The leather plates are usually cut too long, too short, or too wide; the lettering is the wrong height, or the font (i.e., typeface) is too modern (i.e., the font did not exist during WWII). I'm still waiting on a name plate from MASH Co. Japan. It will be interesting to see if they get it right.

Best Regards,
Russ

PLATON said:
hi,
I am not sure if this has been discussed before.

I recall something that the regulation was that the name on the nametag
to be the initial of the first name and the last name in full
i.e. T. STRIKER
what if the pilot had a middle name?
what's the correct form?
T. W. STRIKER ?
or perhaps
TED W. STRIKER

and was the rank stated on the name tag? (I don't think so)
e.g. CAPT. T. STRIKER

what is the pilot had a nickname ?
have there been cases where the nickname was also on the tag?
I know it's not official but those guys were risking their lives everyday, nobody could touch them for small things like that or if they were not shaved etc.

e.g. TED "THE FLASH" STRIKER

Opinions?
Thanks.

Jaguar46

Russ 27752 said:
Hi Platon, FNG here...my second post on VLJ:

According to the U.S. Army Air Forces Illustrated Catalog, Class 13, dated September 30, 1943, the USAAF specification for leather name tags on flying jackets and flight suits is as follows:

5/8" W x 4" L strip of heavy leather;
1/4" H* UPPER CASE letters with exception of "C" in some names (e.g., T.E. McCOY)
Name Format: First Initial of First Name (period), First Initial of Middle Name (period), Full Last Name (e.g., T. W. STRIKER)

* 3/16" H UPPER CASE letters are used for longer names

The USAAF nomenclature for this item is:
Name Plate - Leather, STOCK NO. 8300-601000, (NOTE: Leather patch for flying jackets and suits. Issued four per man).

Also, please note that what others have written about the name plate is correct.

Many name plates sewn on jackets and flight suits were theater made and did not necessarily adhere to the Class 13 specifications. Many name plates seen in the MTO had embossed wings (gunner, bombardier, pilot, etc.) above the name, some tags had the aircrewman's nick name, and many CBI name plates were embossed or incised with the aircrewman's name in Chinese.

While there are many variations of the name plate that are historically correct, the only name plate that meets WWII USAAF specifications is Stock No. 8300-601000.

In my experience, all of the reproduction name plates I have seen do not meet the original WWII USAAF specification. The leather plates are usually cut too long, too short, or too wide; the lettering is the wrong height, or the font (i.e., typeface) is too modern (i.e., the font did not exist during WWII). I'm still waiting on a name plate from MASH Co. Japan. It will be interesting to see if they get it right.

Best Regards,
Russ

I don't know if this was a common occurance or not, but what if the person was a Jr or a third? Was there ever a Jr or III placed at the end of a name?

Robert Ellsworth Weatherby III, the tag becoming W.E. WEATHERBY III

Jeff M

Jaguar46 said:
I don't know if this was a common occurance or not, but what if the person was a Jr or a third? Was there ever a Jr or III placed at the end of a name?

And what about nowadays, with some married couples having hyphenated last names..
R.E. WEATHERBY-PERRIWINKLE III

(What's going to happen when kids from those marriages marry other hyphenated last name kids? Quadruple last names? :roll: :lol: )

Russ 27752

Jaguar46 said:

IIRC, the maximum number of 1/4" high letters is 16. So your name plate would read R.E. WEATHERBY III. Any number of letters over that would make the whole plate be set in 3/16" H typeface, and yes, "junior" would be abbreviated as JR. on a USAAF specification name plate.

Remember, also, that many aircrewmen didn't get name tags or group or squadron patches until they got to their assigned theater of operations. Any theater-made name tags or squadron patches would most likely NOT adhere to USAAF specifications. This explains why there is so much variation in name tag and squadron patch sizes, materials, and shapes.

Best Regards,
Russ

Russ 27752

Jeff M said:
Jaguar46 said:

And what about nowadays, with some married couples having hyphenated last names..
R.E. WEATHERBY-PERRIWINKLE III

(What's going to happen when kids from those marriages marry other hyphenated last name kids? Quadruple last names? :roll: :lol: )

How Funny! :lol:

shedonwanna

Here are some vintage tags showing various fonts and styles of name. The second image are some fonts I have available that were available during WWII. Most reproductions I see around are using the Tandy Leather 1/4 inch stamping dies. I can reproduce most font styles but a minimum order of 4 tags would be necessary for fonts I don't have. Just pm me with an example of what you want and I will quote a price.
name_various.jpg

name458b.jpg

A

Anonymous

this is great

can you make scored like this guy on ebay?

$(KGrHqV,!l8E6PG8TneHBOnMu3vKew~~60_3.JPG

by the way I think I have seen tag with JR

A

Anonymous

What about nametag placement?
I think there is a thread somewhere but can't seem to find it.
Was there a standard way , i.e. x distance from pocket, or x distance from storm flap etc?
Anyone knows exactly?

Thanks in advance.

shedonwanna

Latin Antique was a common typeface used. The "ROGERS" tag was made for Platon using Latin Antique. Platon also wanted a "HILTS" tag with a Times Roman font and I made one for me using the Latin Antique.