• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 ID?

dmar836

I've had this for several years and have never figured it out. Appears to have a poorly replaced silk liner(or originally done poorly) with remnants of label. It appears to have never had collar snaps, throat clasp, underarm grommets, or leather hanger(except that of a leather loop under the liner). I thought maybe the hanger had been relocated when the lining was replaced but I can see no stitch holes on back. I suspect it was a private purchase jacket as it deviates far from any contract I've been able to find. So private? WWII? Korea?

Other details:
-Sprayed finish. Lightweight.
-Simple collar with line of stitching around middle of under side.
-Shoulder seams and beveled pockets like a Bronco
-Epaulets are two piece as expected(not cheaply folded).
-Pockets have boxed reinforced stitching and internal rectangular leather snap reinforcements.
-Sleeves are not rotated - line up with body.
-Forward facing body seam as expected.
-Ball stud snaps on pockets - and one on wind flap(screams Sears or something!)
-White metal Conmar with "Made in USA" on back of slider

IMG_6043.jpg

IMG_6047.jpg

IMG_6036.jpg

IMG_6040.jpg

IMG_6041.jpg

IMG_6038.jpg

IMG_6045.jpg

IMG_6042.jpg

I certainly appears to be used in theater somewhere. I didn't pay a ton for it.
Many on here are pros so can you confirm my suspicions or give an other creative thoughts?
Thanks in advance,
Dave
Kansas City, USA

Roughwear

Dave, Your A2 if most certainly a private purchase jacket. It is made of goatskin and has features used by some to the large naval contractors, such as the bevelled pocket corners (also found on Bronco, Sheeplined and Cooper jackets). I own a Karl Ort A2 which was made by Gordon and Ferguson. This style of Conmar was used on several Wartime issued A2s and I would guess your jacket was made in the war.

dmar836

Andrew, I was hoping you'd chime in. I've read many of your posts and respect your opinion.
Thanks a bunch!
Dave
Kansas City, USA