• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-1 got some use today

dmar836

My instructor and I flew down for the "$100 hamburger" this morning. Wore the GW A-1 I got from bseal.

CIMG0526.jpg

dmar836

Yup. A '46 Champ. Great little plane to fly. Bounced and floated a bit at the unfamiliar field. Felt bad until Larry did the same in his Luscombe and he's flown for many a year. Wasn't just me. A bit bumpy but I greased two of my landings like I knew what I was doing. Great day!

Flyderf

Any landing you can walk away from, (and the airplane is re-usable) is a good landing. Nice jacket.

JOHNO

There is a certain feeling you get while wearing a leather flight jacket while flying, its hard to describe but you know you've done good when you catch the younger pilots discreetly checking out your jacket.

bfrench

Administrator
dmar836 said:
Yup. A '46 Champ. Great little plane to fly. Bounced and floated a bit at the unfamiliar field. Felt bad until Larry did the same in his Luscombe and he's flown for many a year. Wasn't just me. A bit bumpy but I greased two of my landings like I knew what I was doing. Great day!

Those Champs are great - first taildragger I flew was a 65hp 7ac and first plane I bought was a 7BCM that had a Citabria and a Lycoming O-235 (115hp).

Finished up with a 150hp Decathlon - flew it for almost 20 years before getting away from flying (if there is such a thing as getting away from flying). I guess it was nothing more than a spruced up Champ too.

GJXT4c.jpg

Atticus

My father had a '46 Champ when I was a kid. As is recall, it had the 65 hp Continental. We were flying it down the Outer Banks from Ocracoke to Beaufort, one day, when the engine swallowed a valve. The prop wind milled until the metal shards were evenly distributed throughout two or three cylinders…and then it froze dead still in the upright position. I am here to tell you...there is no silence quite like the silence you experience when your only airplane engine quits running before you want it to.

AF

Atticus said:
My father had a '46 Champ when I was a kid. As is recall, it had the 65 hp Continental. We were flying it down the Outer Banks from Ocracoke to Beaufort, one day, when the engine swallowed a valve. The prop wind milled until the metal shards were evenly distributed throughout two or three cylinders…and then it froze dead still in the upright position. I am here to tell you...there is no silence quite like the silence you experience when your only airplane engine quits running before you want it to.

AF
I know what you mean Geoff! It's happened to me twice! First time I was over Mission Bay (San Diego) at low altitude in a Cessna 206. I put it down on Fiesta Island. Second time was in my Ultralight flying over the Mojave Desert. Luckily I had a big dry lake bed to put it down on. Then there was the other two engine failures I had in multi engine aircraft... :shock: I guess that's what happens when you have 6000 hrs flying recips. It must be nice to fly jets!

Andrew

All credit to you guys who actually fly aircraft instead of just perving at them! Have to admit i'm a wannabe who likes flying jackets and hearing these types of tales. :D