• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5th AF A-2 pics

Andrew

Posted these a while ago. They are from our State library and were taken when Mac was based here.

This is a favourite of mine.

27980p.jpg

Taken in Rockhampton- pretty warm palce all year round.

14081p.jpg

Another from Nth Queensland, to me this really shows they loved their jackets, they really didn't need them there.
73427p.jpg

MacArthur in Brisbane

119661p.jpg

57414p.jpg

I've had dreams of finding an unappreciated original left behind in a junk shop. Yeah right...

A

Anonymous

I kid you not, my friend just got a Rough wear original in very good +++++ condition for 40.00 US at a garage sale. I will get pics out later.

Chandler

I wonder if any of those jackets are custom-made, as was popular in the theater during the war.
Anyone with a good eye?

Chandler

bfrench

Administrator
Hi, Guys,

The one common thread in all of the above pictures is where the top of the trousers belt is in relation to the bottom of the woolen waistband - even in the MacArthur pic where the gent is to his left - it is easy to imagine roughly where Mac's belt is located.

These beloved utility leather jackets all came well below the top of the trousers and had a modicum of slack around the waist.

A great example of how the jackets were meant to be worn even though there are pics out there showing every kind of fit.

Bill French

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
bfrench said:
These beloved utility leather jackets all came well below the top of the trousers and had a modicum of slack around the waist ....

Yes, Bill. :)

And remembering, of course, that the top of the trousers was then much higher.

A

Anonymous

Well stone the crows, jackets that fit. Imagine that, who is going to tell HPA/Aero/ELC the bad news ?

Roughwear

MarkP40 said:
I kid you not, my friend just got a Rough wear original in very good +++++ condition for 40.00 US at a garage sale. I will get pics out later.

Well done. Which contract is it?

Andrew

Leadsky said:
Posted these a while ago. They are from our State library and were taken when Mac was based here.

This is a favourite of mine.

27980p.jpg

I meant to add my contribution to World cultural history. The State Library had a tag for this shot saying something totally incorrect like "American Airforce Officer in leather jacket" :eek:

I really hate seeing this in an otherwise highly regarded historic photo collection. Makes you wonder what else they get wrong on everything else. I sent them an email requesting a correction to the title (included terms like Enlisted man, 5th AF, A-2 flight jacket blah blah). Got a reply with thanks and a revised title which contained a few of these basic terms which would help with future searches. I guess they do rely on this kind of input....

I don't know why but I really do like this photo- pensive bloke in a Dakota, travelling who knows where, nice seal flight jacket, looks to have another with a 5thAF patch draped over the seat behind...

A

Anonymous

Roughwear said:
MarkP40 said:

Well done. Which contract is it?
The contract was W535AC-27752