• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 Star Leather Peeling/Flaking Goat Skin G-1?

Agateking75

Hey everyone. I'm new here and was hoping y'all could help me figure out what's going on with this jacket I just purchased from 5 Star. I purchased the G-1 55J14 seal brown this last Dec and I've been wearing it almost every day to break in, and I noticed the leather has developed some spots were the dye has seemed to have flaked or peeled off. I was unsettled because I've only seen bonded leather peel or flake. However I know this is Goat skin I just wish I understood why this is happening to my jacket and maybe some of you have seen this before. I would definitely appreciate some tips on how to repair this.

IMG_4908.jpeg
IMG_4910.jpeg
IMG_4909.jpeg
IMG_4907.jpeg

B-Man2

Pretty much typical high point wear that happens when jackets get worn on a daily basis. In reality it’s the hide starting the aging process . It starts out with the edges of seams and develops around those areas . So take a read of this and then if you still have questions get back to us .

Last edited:

Agateking75

Thats honestly what I was hoping to hear, there’s definitely a lot I need to learn about leather. I suppose I was just not expecting wear like this with only a month into ownership. Thanks for the tips on repair, I think I'll just let the leather do its thing though.

B-Man2

Thats honestly what I was hoping to hear, there’s definitely a lot I need to learn about leather. I suppose I was just not expecting wear like this with only a month into ownership. Thanks for the tips on repair, I think I'll just let the leather do its thing though.
That’s what really makes these jackets look great . Just let it age naturally, the more they age…… the better they look .

B-Man2

A new leather jacket shouldn't have anything peeling off like that. Period. That looks more like some kind of sprayed on topcoat of a 'corrected grain' hide peeling off in that 1st post.
We've got a new $100 Pakistani goatskin A2 where wear spots or scratches simply have the dye/coloring worn away. Peeling is something different entirely going on there besides "wear", lol.

On another note, it's sorta funny that apparently the expensive repo makers are using corrected grain leather to get that uniform grain look so admired by the OCD crowd.
Hi
Welcome to VLJ .
Why not take a second and introduce yourself in the “Member Bio Section” here.
You mentioned “We’ve got a new $100.00 Pakistani goatskin A2” in your post, are you a manufacturer?
Regardless…. we’d love to see this jacket so why not post a few photos of it?
Cheers

Chandler

For perspective, I have a Flight Suits chrome-tanned goatskin jacket that's over 20 years old and I have no sign of wear like that.

OTOH -- I have an ELC Star in steerhide (same vintage +/-), most likely veg-tanned, that would scare most non-VLJ types with its abrasions.

You'll note I didn't mention how these jackets were dyed or finished, because I don't know. But I'm sure that's part of the factor in their aging.

Erwin

It looks like leather quality is really low in comparison to genuine G1 jackets, only more than two months, and such visible signs of wear. Is it something that is expected to be seen on G1 jacket reproductions made in Pakistan by 5S or AVI-L?

917_k

Personally, I’d be extremely disappointed with that kinda wear. It simply doesn’t look right, not even for a worn and aged jacket (I own 7 original G-1s of various types from the 1950s - 1970s and none of them have age related wear like that).

Erwin

Looks like it can be expected to see this issue on these jackets. Not too bad customer service from 5S, but sadly it looks like other people are facing the same issue for jackets from relatively newer batches.

Agateking75

I’m not that upset about it, although I’m not sure I buy that whole “it’s made to age like that” answer I got when I contacted 5 star. Over all the jacket is less then $300 and you get what you pay for. I also think it’s worth mentioning that I wear it a lot, almost every time I leave the house so it’s gotten a lot of use in the few months I’ve had it. I’ll probably just use the pens when it starts to look excessive. Hopefully by then I’ll be in the financial position to upgrade to something of higher quality.