• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4th FBW/334th FS L-2A flight jacket

bebel

I am more than happy to show you my last nylon flight jacket: an L-2A from the 4th FBW/334th FS ("The Fighting Eagles") when the squadron was stationned to Chitose AB, Japan. The 4th FIW was the "top scorer" in Korea (506 ennemy aircrafts downed). The wing became 4th FBW from 1955 until 1956. Then the wing was again in the fighters business, becoming 4th FDW (Fighter Day Wing).

This jacket was made by A. Pritzker & Sons with a distinct narrow tap for clipping the O2 hose. The L-2As used to see are Superior Togs mfg.

Franck

l2a334thfis013.jpg

l2a2.jpg
l2a334thfis009.jpg

Rutger

WOW.
How on earth did you get that one.
Amazingly beautiful.

4th Fighter Wing, they don't come much more famous than that, do they.

Are the patches original?

The whole ensemble looks terrific, the dark blue with bright, colourful patches, you're rightfully happy!

oose

NOW THAT's a KEEPER!!!!! :eek:

Hi bebel,

I think that is one of the best original L-2a I've seen in a long time, Good score, do you have any other history behind the owner Lt Perry W. Shirk., he must have been a B-15 man as he looks like he never wore this one!

All the best
stu

All I could find comes from this newspaper article
http://newspaperarchive.com/the-daily-p ... 14/page-12

Graduated Clark High School
B.S Degree from Arizona State in Aeronautics
Joined USAF in 1950
Married Miss Jean Marle Wentsel, St John Lutheran Church Minneapolis
1962 Address 1335 Evergreen North, Amarillo Texas

Jason

Thats a stunning jacket! Beautifully displayed too. Thank you so much for sharing that gem with us.

bebel

Rutger said:
WOW.
How on earth did you get that one.
Amazingly beautiful.

4th Fighter Wing, they don't come much more famous than that, do they.

Are the patches original?

The whole ensemble looks terrific, the dark blue with bright, colourful patches, you're rightfully happy!

Hi Rutger,
Yes patches are original. There was another on the right shoulder. Unfortunately, it has been unstitched.
Franck

oose said:
NOW THAT's a KEEPER!!!!! :eek:

Hi bebel,

I think that is one of the best original L-2a I've seen in a long time, Good score, do you have any other history behind the owner Lt Perry W. Shirk., he must have been a B-15 man as he looks like he never wore this one!

All the best
stu

All I could find comes from this newspaper article
http://newspaperarchive.com/the-daily-p ... 14/page-12

Graduated Clark High School
B.S Degree from Arizona State in Aeronautics
Joined USAF in 1950
Married Miss Jean Marle Wentsel, St John Lutheran Church Minneapolis
1962 Address 1335 Evergreen North, Amarillo Texas

Hi Stu,
No found more as you about the vet. I do not believe he was with the wing for the Korean war but joined the wing in Japan after the end of the war. I will try to find more about him. Although I am almost sure he was servicing in the wing in 1955/56 since the 4th was bomber designed for this short time.
Franck

oose

No worries bebel,
Children are on holiday, wife is out and I'm trying to avoid painting the hallway!

Few pics of dirty thirty...

All the best
stu

oose

Hi bebel,

Almost forgot, I've been trying to find any photo's of the 4th FW after they departed Korea for ages, I' can find vertually no pictures of 4th FW personnel from 55-59 F-100 era, if you dig any up please let me know! Now I must open up that tub of paint, Oh the joy of Easter!

All the best with your collection

stu

bebel

oose said:
Hi bebel,

Almost forgot, I've been trying to find any photo's of the 4th FW after they departed Korea for ages, I' can find vertually no pictures of 4th FW personnel from 55-59 F-100 era, if you dig any up please let me know! Now I must open up that tub of paint, Oh the joy of Easter!

All the best with your collection

stu

Stu,
OK I will do with great pleasure. Have a nice hallway painting! ;)
Franck

bebel

Got some good infos about Perry W. Shirk from another forum nice member. Thank you to him.

Service number: 31347A
Date of Birth: 21 Aug 1930
Pay Date (date entered AF): 5 Jan 51
1st Lt DOR: 16 Dec 56
Capt DOR: 16 Dec 60
Major DOR: 16 Dec 67
(DOR Date Of Rank)

Franck