• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

457th Bomb Group Patch by Atkins

better duck

Yesterday it finally arrived in the mail after three weeks of suspense: will it or will it not arrive??
A beautiful reproduction of the emblem of the 457th BG, also known as "The Fireball Outfit". Anyone who sees this patch now knows why it was called that.
Oscar, aka Atkins, made it for me, from a photo of an original that was on a book cover:
IMG_5919.jpg

IMG_5918.jpg

Here are two photo's of Oscar's artwork, layed flat on my GW Aero 16160. I will have it stitched to this jacket in a couple of weeks,
OscarFaitAccomplipatch1.jpg

It will go on the jacket together with the one that Ties Kaiser has made for me of the other patch you see on the book cover, that of the 748th Bomb Squadron.
Here's a pic of Ties's rendition of the 748th Patch:

TiesKaiserpatch748th_BS_dark001.jpg

Funny thing is, most of the time you see Group patches (if any), being worn on the right side of the chest, and the Squadron Patch almost always on the left. In these two photos you see members of the 457th Bomb Group, with just the Group patch - on the left chest, and no squadron patch:

204.jpg

207.jpg

Tim P

Less is more Peter, I would follow the practice of group on the left as I have seen other examples of this practice with this group.
The patch Ties has done for you could surely take pride of place without detraction on another jacket?

Just my opinion.
Tim.

better duck

Tim P said:
the practice of group on the left as I have seen other examples of this practice with this group.
hey Tim, that's interesting, you have seen other examples of this practice? Were these examples of the 457th, or also of other groups.
Can you remember where you saw these?

Tim P

The jackets El Lobo 11 ilustrated on page 137 and Kraut Krusher on page 138 of Jon Maguires American flight jackets, airmen and aircraft show this practice and I would suggest that added to your images are representative of the norm in this group.....
If you want an authentic rendition of either jacket let me know by the way ;)