• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

416th Bomb Group(L) emblem design/colors wanted

EMBLEMHUNTER

Hello members and fellow emblem researchers, anyone out there that would possibly have a good clear straight on photo of the 416th BG emblem and what colors it was done in ?????????

I have a small web photo of the design but it is at an angle and isn't very clear to much details, but I'll describe it here in hopes one of the members or viewers of the site may be able to help, Shield shaped background, roughly divided in half by flames in the lower portion and an human left arm rising from the flames holding in the hand a large lightning bolt, the top of the shield has a motto scroll/banner with the Latin words "Ignis Aurum Probat" .

If you know of this one or have leads PLEASE contact me , thank you very much, a FREE leather patch to the first person who can get me good details/proper colors confirmed of this emblem, no joke , go ahead make both our days and lets get this one nailed down !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Johnny
[email protected]
P.S. the winner will have to cover postage .

bseal

416thbg.jpg

EMBLEMHUNTER

The photo shown in the posting by bseal has the emblem I am seeking the colors to , anyone out there know of a good straight on photo of this one, am especially seeking the colors to this one also !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I need a better clearer photo , anyone ???????????????????
Johnny
P.S. thanks for posting the shot !

EMBLEMHUNTER

That's all of the 416th Squadron's emblems there, very nice shot , I've seen this one searching for the "Group" design, nice one to look at ,thanks !!!!!!!
Johnny

oose

That all that out there!!!! I assumed you had seen this :D but thought I'd post it anyway, Is there any evidence that it was ever made into a patch, as even Col. Aylesworth commander of the group seems to have worn an unpatched jacket. Good hunting!

stu

EMBLEMHUNTER

So far I've not been able to find anyone to confirm/deny it was ever done in patch form, the emblem in the center of the squadrons is what I beleieve to be thier "Group" emblem, it's just one of those very "Elusive" ones that I need to get in contact with the right person/person's whoever it was that did this set originally .

I have had one person tell me this was a "Hospital" unit emblem , but I really doubt this as I can not see why a hospital emblem would be placed in the center of a Bombardment unit 's squadrons and usually most medical types have the Cadeusus emblem of the winged staff and snakes wrapped around it as part of the design.

Anyway, it may have been originally designed for the 416th Group emblem but only got as far as this one design either due to the unit being to busy with combat etc , or they just for whatever reason never got around to having it made .

I am still hoping that out there somewhere in someone's photo album or trunk of war memorabilia there will someday come a photo/skecth or real patch of this one so it can be nailed down as to being "Thier" emblem, anyone out there that may have contacts with 416th veterans or any other leads please let me know , thank you very much !!!!!!!!!!!!
Johnny
[email protected]

EMBLEMHUNTER

Hello, I'm still in "pursuit" of this emblem's colors , even if I find that it is not the Bombardment "Group's" emblem I would still like to find out what unit it was and the proper colors for it .

I am still hoping someone will recognise it and post some inforamtion that will finally get it nailed down as to unit/colors, thanks to whomever does help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Johnny

capt71

They evidently never had a unit emblem/patch made. I found this on another website:

"The first road sign on my journey in search of (name deleted) was a military unit designation, the 416th Bomb Group (Light). This unit was formed in the U.S. and trained at Lake Charles, Louisiana and Laurel, Mississippi before transferring to England and the 9th Air Force in January of 1944. Surprisingly, the 416th did not have an individual unit patch. Each squadron had their own patches and they all wore the 9th AF patch."

Unfortunately, it looks like you may be out of luck.

EMBLEMHUNTER

capt71 said:
They evidently never had a unit emblem/patch made. I found this on another website:

"The first road sign on my journey in search of (name deleted) was a military unit designation, the 416th Bomb Group (Light). This unit was formed in the U.S. and trained at Lake Charles, Louisiana and Laurel, Mississippi before transferring to England and the 9th Air Force in January of 1944. Surprisingly, the 416th did not have an individual unit patch. Each squadron had their own patches and they all wore the 9th AF patch."

Unfortunately, it looks like you may be out of luck.
Yeah that could be, but I sure would like to know what that emblem is in the posted photo of the black and white squadron's , the emblem in the center of them with the arm rising out of the flamesholding the lightning bolt ??????

It had to have been "afflilliated" with them somehow as I can not see any other eason for it being among them .
Johnny
Also I ahve found that when the units were "Stateside" some /not all did have an emblem that again "some" were used "Briefly" there and then dropped and or changed to another once overseas and in combat , there's a "slim" chance that this one could have been "propossed" as the "stateside" one , but then only briefly there and this one in the photo is as far as it got .

I'm not giving up , I know "somehwere ouththere" someone has more to offer as to this "Elusive" emblems ID/colors..............................
Johnny

EMBLEMHUNTER

The same site that the photo of the "table" display photo was posted on and posted here in this inquiry also has another photo of the same table with the Squadron and "Unknown" emblem where they have just been line drawn onto the front before being painted in, this again leads me to believe it has to be "related" to the squadrons as someone whoever was the artist had to have had a "example" color rendering to paint them in by , why else would this emblem be there if it were not assigned or had something to do with thier operations ???????????????????

So I am still pursuing this one , I have a "gut " feeling this is just another one of those very "elusive" ones that with persisitance I will evetually find the "Nugget" of evidence to get it finally solved as to what "unit" even if not thiers that it was !

So again I ask anyone out there in "cyber land" if you have anything that may lead in a "possitive" direction on this emblem please contact me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to all those tha have contributed so far and I hope to one day FINALLY gte this one solved !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Johnny

EMBLEMHUNTER

Hello again members, for the design of the 416th Bomb Group I'm trying to find detials/colors etc to you can go to this site and find a rough sketch shown under the page, the site is WW2buddies , once on the page scroll down to 416th Bombardment Group box and click, then scroll down and you will see the sketch .

I am hoping someone will recognise this design, thanks for looking and I hope to hear from someone !!!!!!!!
Johnny