• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1988-spec Saddlery A-2 finish

FtrPlt

I was looking at my Saddlery A-2 the other day and noticed how shiny/glossy the finish still is after 20 years. I have an early Cooper (orange tag) jacket (same purplish knits and zip as the Saddlery jackets)that's a few years older and note that its finish lost its gloss after a short period of time. Of late, I've seen quite a few Saddlery jackets around and none seem to have the same glossy finish. Could just be photos?
My jacket:
SaddleryA-2.jpg

Falcon_52

It looks to me like the top finish on your Saddlery is a heavy spray finish. It seems like the advantage of the spray finish is also it's disadvantage: the finish looks very "new" and uniform for a long time, which means it takes forever to show any wear and tear.

Noel

better duck

Yeah, the same with my 20 year old ELC house, in thick steerhide: shiny for ever, although for years I wore that jacket a lot.

FtrPlt

I really didn't wear the A-2 that often so I suspect it probably has less than a years wear on it despite now being two decades old. The leather is quite soft and broken in. The jacket just maintains a 'wet look' that will apparently not be going away.

usafwso

Both of mine look just like that. The most recent A-2's being issued look quite different as far as the finish is concerned.

Tim P

At least it isnt as matte as my irvin :)
an A2 doesnt have to look beat up.. I think it looks fine.

Marv

I have one of the Orange tag Cooper's and it does seem less shiny that the Saddlery version, mine also has the purplish knits and Ideal bell type zipper......it was my first A2 and I had my name tag and the 334th FS and 8th AF patch added, unfortunately I don't really wear it but can't bring myself to part with it as it was my first if you know what I mean.

CHECK6

I have got 2 orange tag A2, one with dark brown lining and one with khaki lining,the first one is not shiny and the goatskin is broken and nicer than the second one, shiny and always brand new look,can we date these jackets?????for me early 80's
have a nice weekend
FAB

FtrPlt

On the old VLJ site, Jason ( I think!) did a nice side-by-side comparison of the 1988 Saddlery vs one of the later orange-tag A-2s. Wish it was still here.

IIRC the later Cooper orange tag reviewed had less robust brown knits (vs the purplish ones used earlier) and a brass YKK zip.