• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Ralph Edwards G-1

MikeyB-17

As promised, for comparison with Jeroen's '65, here is my '64 Ralph Edwards 7823C (WEP) which arrived today. The seller wasn't wrong, it hasn't, as far as I can see, ever been worn-the leather is completely unmarked, and a sure sign with old jackets, the male end of the zip is undamaged. The pocket flaps were so new I had a job to get them undone, the leather was so stiff. It's been stored for a long time, and the lepidoptera larvae have had a fair old go at the knits-they're OK for now, or at least they will be with (actually quite a lot of) darning, but I don't think it'll be too long before the wrist knits give up the ghost, then it'll be off to Aero, I feel. The mouton collar is pristine, and a very nice dark reddish brown. It's a fairly snug 42-I'd better not put on any more weight! This one is a contract no. 4342, as opposed to Jeroen's 9366, and the only difference I can see is that mine has the old style single ply rib-rack knits, as opposed to Jeroen's folded A-2 style. Well, another G-1 has arrived-wonder how long I can hang on to this one?

DSCF2957.jpg

DSCF2961.jpg

DSCF2958.jpg

DSCF2962.jpg

DSCF2960.jpg

Cobblers161

Nice catch Mikey, exactly the sort of pre-70's G-1 I'm after.

You sure it fits right? I mean if you need to sell it on I'd gladly give a good home! :D

MikeyB-17

Sorry, Cobblers old chap, but I think it fits pretty well-

DSCF2967.jpg

However, I have a marked tendency towards finding some other must-have (usually bass guitar-related) which usually necessitates the sale of one or more jackets, so you never know-but I wouldn't hold your breath. It is nice to have an issue G-1 in the wardobe again, I must say.

Cobblers161

Yeh, gotta admit it's a nice fit! Well done sir.

btw, do you have the address of the campsite in the photo to the right of you? Looks like my kinda place! ;)

MikeyB-17

That, I'll have you know, is my good lady wife. Here is the picture in question, which as you can see, merely shows us re-enacting the Stone Age at Wookey Hole last year. (Taken by my ten-year-old daughter, so those offended by fibreglass stone age knockers, well, if she and every other person who visits Wookey Hole can look at 'em, so can you).

DSCF2968.jpg

P.S. Cobblers, you seen this?

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5615

Cobblers161

Cheers Mikey, may be a little big. Luckily just found a Pritzker 55J14.

Excellent photo, love it! Where'd you get the Mammoth, they're pretty rare these days? :D

MikeyB-17

Oh, it just followed my daughter home-you know how it goes- 'can I keep it Daddy, please, please?' What do you do?

Curahee

Excellent catch Mikey ! WOW yours is indeed looking NOS would like to find one of those some day. They look virtually identical except for the single ply rib rack waistband and as long as you don't take deep breaths I think you'll be fine ;)

BTW you are right about that male zipper tape, after a close look mine has a little tear at the bottom :? nothing major but still. Seems like all those A-B-C-D-E have that same problem go figure

MikeyB-17

Thanks Jeroen, I'm pretty pleased with it-it's a close fit, but not tight or uncomfortable, and I have a full range of movement-I'd just better not get any heavier!
I just found a little paper ticket in the pocket, with the size, style (USN) and manufacturer's number on it-2401-not had one of those before.