• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 C-series G-1 Star Sportswear

kevlarg

The stitching looks just like my 60's G-1.

I believe that the seller is a forum member. Hawkeye is that you?

Hawkeye

that would be me. boy, you guys dont miss any auctions do you? I've got another by Irvin B. Foster in a tagged 46, actual size 48 that Im contemplating selling. It fits me great, but I'm still trying to decide if the G-1 look is for me. Both were vintage shop finds in Toronto. Not sure if its a C or D model though, the stitched writing on the label is almost gone.

rpmooreii

If its a I Foster then it is a C as Irvin did not have a D contract. In my experience, though, with number of IB Foster A, B and C series jackets is that fit smaller than tagged size not larger although I believe Allen has/had one that is much bigger than labeled.

...Roger

hacker

rpmooreii said:
If its a I Foster then it is a C as Irvin did not have a D contract. In my experience, though, with number of IB Foster A, B and C series jackets is that fit smaller than tagged size not larger although I believe Allen has/had one that is much bigger than labeled.

...Roger

Agree totally, in fact seems the larger sizes, 42 and up are the worst offenders.

Hacker

Hawkeye

Interesting to hear its a C. Heres some pics. Pit to pit measuremtn of 24 inches, 28 inches shoulder seam to end of cuff, 26 inch back length. Make what you can from that label, all I got was Irvin b. foster sportswear and size 46.

g-1012.jpg

g-1013.jpg

g-1014.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Hawkeye said:
Make what you can from that label, all I got was Irvin b. foster sportswear and size 46.

JACKET, FLYING, MAN'S
INTERMEDIATE, TYPE G-1
SPEC.MIL-J-7823C (WEP)
FSN 8415-268-7802
IRVIN B. FOSTER SPTSWEAR CO.
CONTRACT NO. DSA-10003081
SIZE 46

rpmooreii

No a bad looking jacket but both the cuffs and waistband are incorrect. The waistband should be of the rib-rack variety and the cuffs should be of the two-ply folded over type. From the pics, it looks like they are exactly opposite...the cuffs look to be rib rack and the waistband is not.

24" pit to pit is definitely not a sz 48 in G-1s. In fact, many/most of my sz 44 G-1s from the 60s measure 24" or slightly larger in that dimension. Looks like a smallish sz 46... just like I mentioned above: I Foster jackets run small for their stated size.

...Roger

Hawkeye

Thank you for the correction Roger, I was under the impression that a pit to pit measurement doubled equaled the chest measurement. I was wondering about the knits too, but I cant find any evidence of them being replaced, unless they were stitched in by hand through the original holes.

Edit:scratch that, the cuffs have definately been replaced, but I can find no sign of replacement of the waistband.