• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940 pattern ELC Irvin-size 42

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Roughwear said:
1940 patterns come up for sale far less than the 1942 pattern ELC Irvin.

Unfortunately there's a reserve, and a seller named meanbasil, who really knows how to make his item sound appealing ....

It is two weeks old. Yes Two Weeks. I just dont like the finish which is WAR HORSE.

Roughwear

deeb7 said:
Roughwear said:
1940 patterns come up for sale far less than the 1942 pattern ELC Irvin.

Unfortunately there's a reserve, and a seller named meanbasil, who really knows how to make his item sound appealing ....

It is two weeks old. Yes Two Weeks. I just dont like the finish which is WAR HORSE.

I love the bit where he claims its an unwanted gift! He must be very lucky man to be given an expensive Irvin as a gift! :lol:

rich

Personally I see why he doesn't like it - it seems to have a haphazard desiccated look, rather than a more authentic uniform patina. It's not too much like the one featured on the ELC website, maybe I'm being too picky but for what these cost I'd think you'd have a right to be. The one Andrew sold recently was far superior IMO .............. over to John Lever..........

asiamiles

rich said:
Personally I see why he doesn't like it - it seems to have a haphazard desiccated look, rather than a more authentic uniform patina.
It's not really possible to tell from those small pic's, but it looks okay to me. I wouldn't say no to such a "gift".

rich

asiamiles said:
rich said:
Personally I see why he doesn't like it - it seems to have a haphazard desiccated look, rather than a more authentic uniform patina.
It's not really possible to tell from those small pic's, but it looks okay to me. I wouldn't say no to such a "gift".

I take your point Miles, but for me that would be even worse - having to wear it so as not to offend. Or offending the other person, who was so generous and thoughtful, by seeking a return.............

If it looked like this on the other hand....................! :D

ELCIRVIN.jpg

Andrew

Just a few recent thoughts; I have changed my mind about repro Irvins- well at least those by ELC. I used to wonder why anyone would want a repro Irvin when you can get a good original for similar money. But after recently wearing one or another of my originals it's obvious that it'd be nice to not be worried about hurting it, not to have to old musty smell and to know that it's really your own jacket.

It's the last point that strikes me most about wearing a vintage jacket to a repro lately. I'm starting to become conscious that the original jacket i'm wearing has had many previous lives. I know you can argue that this is just another stage in its life but dropping the kids to school doesn't have the same significance as dropping a bomb load. I'm thinking unless i have a significant event to wear them to i'm now only going to preserve my original Irvins and A-2's.

rich

I know what you mean Andrew, I have a repro Irvin (ELC 1942) and a repro B-3 (Aero). I can wear them without fear of damaging them, and even if they were written off, it's not a piece of WW2 history that's gone down the pan. I have every confidence in my WW2 Irvin, but maybe I'm getting more risk averse in my old age. The Irvin in the pic I posted looks outstanding to me, better than the jackets they're producing now. This one was in the re-issue dept, someone picked up
a genuine bargain IMO. If only it had ben a 44"........... :(