• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 Wareings Irvin in fantastic condition

Roughwear

I have owned several Irvins from Wareings' contract B22534 which dates to 1939, but this is by far the best preserved. It has all the typical "house" features of Wareings' jackets, large collar rings, a squared-end collar, wide belt loops and narrow seam tapes.The exterior polyacrylate finish is completely in tact and there is almost no wear the fleece. There are no patches or repairs to the skin side of the sheepskin. The Dot zips work very well with their original pulls. Often these jackets have lost their label, but this one has not and it is quite clear to read. It is tagged a size 40, but fits larger and would equate to a size 5.

Very often there is no provenance with Irvins. However this one belonged to Flight Lieutenant and latterly Squadron Leader R E Blake, who was awarded the DFC in January 1944 ’for courage, determination and devotion to duty’ whilst serving with 459 Squadron of the RAAF. This squadron served as a maritime patrol and bomber unit in the Mediterranean theatre of war until it was disbanded in 1945. I have copies of some correspondence regarding Blake's DFC along with copy his Flight Record as well as some contemporary newspaper cuttings following his decoration.

No 459 Squadron was formed at LG 39/Burg-el-Arab, Egypt on 10 February 1942 under the Empire Air Training Scheme. The Squadron was initially equipped with Lockheed Hudson and Bristol Blenheim aircraft and operated in the maritime reconnaissance role. During 1942 and early 1943 the Squadron operated against German shipping in the Mediterranean and sank a number of ships including a destroyer. In September 1943 the Squadron temporally changed roles to become a bomber unit. The Squadron was equipped with Lockheed Venturas from March to July 1944, when it was re-equipped with Martin Baltimore aircraft.
No 459 Squadron continued operating around the Greek islands until March 1945, when it was posted to the United Kingdom. No 459 Squadron shortly thereafter disbanded at RAF Chivenor, Devon on 10 April 1945.

Smithy

Same as what I posted over at TFL Andrew but that's such a corker of a jacket it deserves repeating.

Absolutely stunning but what really gets me is the photo of the back of the collar, it looks exactly the same condition as my 6 year old ELC!

I love the Wareings Irvins, such a good looking collar shape and overall pattern.

Two thumbs up Andrew ;)

Roughwear

Dr H said:
Kudos for wearing it in this heat :shock:

Today is a little cooler Ian and five minutes was quite enough time wearing the Irvin! There was a guy wearing a sheepskin jacket and shorts at Duxford last week when the temperature was 30 degrees!

Andrew

Very nice Andrew, reminds me of the one I have. So is the bunker behind you the ground level entrance to your subterranean Fort Knox for jacket storage by any chance? I wonder if Mrs S is aware of what's going on in the potting shed? :D

It's great that the less glamorous Squadron histories are remembered as well.

Beautiful!! It looks like the one I sold a few years ago. You were kind enough to help me identify that one and I recall there was some debate as to being able to correctly identify jacket manufacturers based upon maker's detailing. How is that book of yours coming along? Will we be able to get one anytime soon?

Careful though, your entire asset base is being converted into horse hide, goat and sheep skin! :lol:

dujardin

nice catch

i was also wondering how long you kept this jacket on you ???

just the time of photo, less than a minute :lol: