• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

12, Oclock High in COLOR (the series!!!!!!)

PaulGT3

I watched METV on DirecTv. I think its a local LA channel. But anyway
I have been watching the 12 Oclock high series and COMBAT! Both were in the middle 60's
and then today after a couple months in B&W I saw an episode in COLOR!! I was SO excited!
A2's in Seal! A2's in Russet!! B-3s in well FAKE. If you follow the series the main character later
in the series is Col Joe Gallagher. He always wears a A2. His Aide is Sandy Kamenski. He wears a
B3. Well I think 99.9999999% of the series is filmed in Ontario airport in SoCal. THere is a line of
Eucalyptus trees off to the back of the airfield. Today they took off in England(Ontario) and landed in
the Ukraine (Ontario) THey have the same line of treed in RUSSIA it turns out. Then in the 2nd episode
they took off in England (Ontario) and crashed in France (Ontario) Turns out they have the have the same line of trees
in France that they do in England and Russia!!!.
HOWEVERY Kamanski got inito a fight over spark plugs and Kamanski was wearing a B-3. And my son commented on
how thin it looks compared to my real repro. Then it dawned on me that they were filming in the summer at Ontario.
It gets HOT in ontairo. So what I think Kamanki did was have a custom B-3 made that looks like a B3 but has no interior fur.
Other wise he would burn up. It gets hot there in the summer, So I think he had Fur attached to an A2 (has the same pockets)
and it fits REAL trim.
Oh well it reminded me when we got our first COLOR TV set in the house!! Thats how excited I got today!!

Skip

Like most Australians, Eucalypts are a well travelled species, prefering a mediterranean climate but quite adaptable to the more exotic climes... ;)

TankBuster

I love the series. While it can get a little out there for authenticity, I thought it was great for what it was, fun entertainment! I bought the whole set on DVD a few years ago. It was well worth it!

TOMG1401

I prefer to let those 2 series along with The Gallant Men live in memory , rather than watch today so I can tear all the wrong jackets apart with my now "expert" knowledge, LOL

I've been watching 12 O'clock High on MeTV too. I remember watching it as a kid (Combat! too). The actual "Piccadilly Lilly" B-17 used in the series is at Chino Airport. Here's a few pictures...

100_0078-L.jpg

100_0042-L.jpg

100_0044-L.jpg

100_0037-L.jpg

100_0056-L.jpg

100_0038-L.jpg

Skip

Thanks for pics Bill, fantastic. Never had the chance to see the inside of a B-17 in person

PaulGT3

Great pics. Is it still flyable? Sadly the more we get into the color side of the last season. the writing gets further and further out there.