• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zippers

tda003

I picked up a bunch of mil spec zippers, collars, cuffs and waist bands yesterday. I haven't received them yet. I did it based on the pictures. I won't know what all I've purchased until they arrive, but the pictures look interesting.
Zippers.1.jpg
Zippers.2.jpg
Zippers.3.jpg
Zippers.4.jpg

tda003

"Live Auctions". They show a bunch of different auctions. This one was a militaria auction. You register for whichever auction you are interested in. Took me a while to figure it out. I placed a max bid. Then at the day and time specified, when your lot comes up, the live bidding starts. You can be outbid, so it's good to stay until your lot is called. There's a buyer's premium on top of the bid, normally about 20% plus shipping. On some auctions you are responsible for arranging shipping or you can pick up at the auction house. s a winning bid of $200 would be $240 + s/h. I took that into consideration in bidding. No flight jackets in this auction.

tda003

They arrived yesterday. There appear to be A-2 cuffs (the purple ones. A number of G-1 cuffs and waist bands for M-422 thru early G-1 jackets (bi-directional waist band) along with collars, cuffs and waist bands for MA-1's. The zippers appear to be YKK (aluminum?) the material is of 2 different collars. There are a few others that appear more interesting, possibly G-1 or A-2.

I'll post pictures of each type when I can get to it, possibly tomorrow. The descriptions are my best guess as I am NOT an expert in this field (although I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express!)

tda003

G-1 cuffs and waistbands from the auction. Notice the waistbands are dark brown, medium brown & purple. I'm not knowledgeable enough to determine manufacturers or type M-422, 422a, G-1, etc.) for the colors and would appreciate any assistance. Also note that there ate color variations, some slight, in the cuffs. This is probably dye lot to dye lot.
G-1 Cuffs&Waistband.2.jpg
G-1 Cuffs&Waistband.3.jpg
G-1 Cuffs&Waistband.4.jpg
G-1 Cuffs&Waistband.5.jpg
G-1 Cufs&Waistband.1.jpg
G-1 Cuffs&Waistband.2.jpg
G-1 Cuffs&Waistband.3.jpg
G-1 Cuffs&Waistband.4.jpg
G-1 Cuffs&Waistband.5.jpg
G-1 Cufs&Waistband.1.jpg
G-1 Cufs&Waistband.1.jpg

tda003

And the Zippers. Left to right: Talon (several), Waldes (?, 2), Talon, YKK, Talon, YKK. No real idea to which jackets they belong. Anyone?
Zippers.5.jpg
Zippers.6.jpg

Last edited:

MaydayWei

And the Zippers. Left to right: Talon (sveral0, Waldes (?, 2), Talon, YKK, Talon, YKK. No real idea to which jackets they belong. Anyone?View attachment 65651View attachment 65652

The one closest to the right would normally go on an M-65 field jacket or the M-65 Parka.
It could also, potentially, pass off as a 7823B - 7823D or even early 7823E G-1.

Second closest to the right is a proper A2 repro Talon. I think that's the same one on my Platon Dubow.

Third closest to the right is just a normal YKK.

One closest to the left is a crappy Talon repro.

Second closes to the left looks like a proper Conmar repro for repro A2 jackets of certain contracts.

I cant's tell what the third from the left is.

But I'm no expert, I hope someone else can chime in!

tda003

Last of the cuffs. One seems likely to be MA-1, but don
Cuffs.c.jpg
't know
Cuffs.M1.jpg
Cuffs.M2.jpg
Cuffs.M3.jpg
for certain or the others.

Attachments

• Cuffs.M4.jpg
    Cuffs.M4.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 127
  • Cuffs.m5.jpg
    Cuffs.m5.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 126

tda003

Mayday,
Just for drill what identifies these as repros as opposed to originals. JIC I try to find original replacements.

MaydayWei

Mayday,
Just for drill what identifies these as repros as opposed to originals. JIC I try to find original replacements.

I'm not an expert.
But I've seen original G-1 knits before and they come in plastic, with a contract number, DSA/DLA code, inspector's papers etc. Original parts, I think, come with the same 'documentation' that comes with any other piece of Military kit.
Additionally, the packaging that the kit above comes in appears very similar (visually) to MASH Japan's packaging or something Buzz Rickson would do. I've never original seen zippers and knits packaged so, let's say, decoratively. Nor do I see any reason why they would need to be so descriptively packaged.

But, again, not an expert. I hope someone who is more educated in the subject can chime in.

2BM2K

This one looks to be an original NOS Talon;
Zippers.6.jpg

The leather pull strap is a bit of a hint. If the zipper has "made in USA" or similar on the back then it is an original, if it doesn't then it is a repro.

tda003

Someone asked about the MA-1 packaged waistband and collar and I can't find the post. So, if you read this, give me a shout.