• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW2 Navy G1 VS Modern issue G1

pdweiser

I was wondering other than manufacturers what is the difference between the WW2 Navy G1 jackets and the current issue (not commercial copy) Navy G1?

unclegrumpy

First, to be technical, the G-1 did not come out until after WW II, but there are other wartime jackets that are very similar.

Second, what you are asking is really broad, and could fill a book. I think if you did search of this site, you would quickly start to see answers to much of what you are looking for.

That said, are you really asking, should I buy a more modern jacket or a WW II one to wear?

If that is your question, I would say that nice early to mid Vietnam era G-1's are still out there for reasonable prices....$100 to $250...and are an excellent starting point to see if you like the fit and wearing a G-1.

With that knowledge and experience, you will know how far you want to go as far as spending more money for the features an older jacket has.

If you start out with an early 1960's jacket with a contrasting colored collar, you are going to very close from the beginning....all without breaking the bank.