• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worth it or not? Vintage G 1

tahonng

Saw this on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/121371244482?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT. Looks to be my size, and I asked the seller if there were any flaking, he says the thing's got normal wear, but no flaking. Didn't see if the chin strap was there. The zipper and knits need replacing, so factoring that, is this a reasonable price? This'll be my first jacket, so I don't want it to be a costly mistake/lesson. Are there other things I should be looking for?

Also, where to get the knits and zipper replaced?

robrinay

IMHO it's overpriced given the condition of the knits and zip. If you are patient you'll pick up a near perfect G1 of similar age in much better condition for the same price or less. I can't see a label with which to identify the maker or year but the paper clip zipper suggests it's a modern one made from patterned cowhide not goat and the collar is faux mouton (nylon). I further predict (from my own experience) that if you do buy one in better condition of this age you will soon start hunting for an older better made version made from goat skin with a real sheepskin collar and or a good quality reproduction. You can get the replacement knits on eBay and a good tailor or biker jacket repair shop will replace them but that will cost nearly as much as this jacket and won't add to the value of this one. You might be better off looking for an older version straight away and maybe spending a little on any necessary repairs.

tahonng

Thanks. Will pass, then.

I'll have to be more judicious about this. I think I was just sucked in that it's a shorter length, as I'm 5'7" and have to be wary of the jackets that are for average height.

chamboid

I have a few g-1's for sale and I'm the same height. Some originals some repros. One Eastman that might be perfect for you.