• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why so many bids????

SuinBruin

Greg "Pappy" Boyington is one of the most famous fighter pilots in American history. He flew with the American Volunteer Group (better known as the "Flying Tigers") in China before flying Corsairs for the USMC in WWII. He shot down 26 planes before being himself shot down and becoming a POW of the Japanese. He won the Congressional Medal of Honor (America's highest military award) and was (very loosely) the inspiration for the TV series Black Sheep.

The odds of a genuine Pappy Boyington flight jacket being sold on eBay are slim and none, tending toward none.

bazelot

SuinBruin said:
Greg "Pappy" Boyington is one of the most famous fighter pilots in American history. He flew with the American Volunteer Group (better known as the "Flying Tigers") in China before flying Corsairs for the USMC in WWII. He shot down 26 planes before being himself shot down and becoming a POW of the Japanese. He won the Congressional Medal of Honor (America's highest military award) and was (very loosely) the inspiration for the TV series Black Sheep.

The odds of a genuine Pappy Boyington flight jacket being sold on eBay are slim and none, tending toward none.

All the more so as the jacket is a 70s G-1. It's at $455 now. Simply mind boggling!!

Roughwear

He retired from the USMC in 1947 and was given the rank of full colonel. This is a 1970s G-1 and is as others say a fake.

Atticus

Truthfully, I’m not even convinced that it is a seventies G-1. Maybe not even a G-1, period. The photos are so terrible I can’t tell what the jacket is. One thing's for sure...the zipper pull isn’t like that of any G-1 I’m familiar with. It actually looks like an Alpha repro MA-1 zipper pull.

Greg Boyington, my butt.

AF

DiamondDave

Obviously fake, definitely a 60s or even 70s G-1, which of course he would not have had.

BUT... That said.

The Zipper pull is replaced, as he states in the auction... the puller in place now is a 1960's LONG fantail that Talon went to in that period. Strangely these were mostly seen on cloth jackets and luggage!!

Legend has it, that when "Pappy" retired from the "United States Marine Corps" (USMC to answer Rocco's question) he bought somewhere upwards of 200 jackets at surplus stores, and had them painted and patched, and told people that it was THE ONE that he wore during the war. Obviously this is a fake and I am sure that the jacket in question was either one of these, or a FAN jacket. Obviously If it were not fake, this jacket would NEVER be listed on eBay.

Honestly, I think that the seller in question, truly doesn't know what he has, or rather does not have, and is being honest. Although that may be giving too much credit to my fellow man. Somebody is obviously going to get shafted on this deal.

as stated before CAVEAT EMPTOR

DD

Atticus

One of those things that makes 'ya just go, "Hmmmmmmmmmmmm????"

boyington.jpg
belushi.png

AF

bazelot

Atticus said:
One of those things that makes 'ya just go, "Hmmmmmmmmmmmm????"

boyington.jpg
belushi.png

AF

That is great!!! I am going to have to watch this movie again, it never gets old!!