• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why Click the Button?

jschare

I had an Eastman Cable Raincoat for sale on eBay and it sold. Or so I thought... I then get an email from the buyer that says:

Dear jschare,

I am so sorry that I press the wrong button.I really love this jacket but it it a little expensive for me .So can you help me to cancel this item?
Thanks very much!

- dd_love_bb

I mean really? What button were you trying to click? Now I have to eat the fees to relist and report this guy...

derleicaman

Another reason to hate ebay. Like you said, what button did he intend to push?

I've sold a bunch of stuff over the years on ebay, and it gets more painful with every transaction. I mainly sell used photo equipment. I had one guy win an auction and then ask to cancel the sale and then try to negotiate a lower price from me. I contacted him and reminded him that a winning bid is a contract to purchase at that price, per ebay rules. He didn't care, said he did this all the time! I cancelled the sale and threatened to report him. Then he had the balls to bid on another item I was selling! The only person I ever had to block!

I wish there was an alternative to ebay, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be.

a2jacketpatches

derleicaman said:
Another reason to hate ebay. Like you said, what button did he intend to push?

I've sold a bunch of stuff over the years on ebay, and it gets more painful with every transaction. I mainly sell used photo equipment. I had one guy win an auction and then ask to cancel the sale and then try to negotiate a lower price from me. I contacted him and reminded him that a winning bid is a contract to purchase at that price, per ebay rules. He didn't care, said he did this all the time! I cancelled the sale and threatened to report him. Then he had the balls to bid on another item I was selling! The only person I ever had to block!

I wish there was an alternative to ebay, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be.

We all have to put up with a dumass now and then like Jeff just experienced. Did you actually report this guy or just threaten to? I believe this infraction falls under unwelcome and malicious buying policy and should be reported. To let it slide undermines what little control sellers do have. No doubt that ebay favors the buyer in most cases, but there is a fairly reasonable amount of protection that sellers must utilize and maintain. If this guy stated to you that he does it all the time then Ebay should see the email and see to it that he doesn't do it all the time or ever again.

havocpaul

A real pain but do a non-payment and report him to eBay and you'll get all your fees back, here in the UK we get free listings allowance every month which helps. It all started to go wrong for sellers when they could no longer leave negative feedback for buyers, it now too often takes them a month of Sundays to pay even on BIN items and they think they can return it as if it is the local mall!

Rutger

I agree, if he's not an 8 year old kid and has multiple buys imo he should know to take his responsibility and accept the consequences. The item sold, a contract was agreed upon. Follow the procedure that ebay wants in cases like these. Beforehand, kindly explain the non-buyer that you will do so because those are the exact ebay rules that all members have agreed with when they joined.
Cristal clear case, ebay will not favour the buyer.

bn1966

It's certainly in favor of the buyer, have been moving on nylon jackets in the past couple of weeks & being careful to go a bit above and beyond to maintain my 100% Positive Feedback.

jschare

The latest email from this idiot who is still refusing to pay even after I told him I'd report him. Even he knows nothing will happen to him!

Dear jschare,

OK,I see.
You can contact EBAY and I will not pay for it just for a mistake.
Maybe your jacket is on sale for a long time and nobody purchase it .So you push me to buy it.
And I say NO!
You can contact ebay as you like.I do not care.I do not mean to play tricks with you .
And I think they can understand it.
Maybe I will get a warning from ebay,
Even so I will NOT pay for it.

- dd_love_bb

Silver Surfer

jeeze. cut it lose, brother. its just not worth the grief. relist the jac in the fall when the prices are a little firmer.

a2jacketpatches

Just do the report, he'll get an unpaid item strike, and it may affect his buying in the future. I've got a guy that has owed me 50 bucks forever and couldn't understand why he was blocked from buying in my store. It wasn't because I placed a block on him in particular, it was because I restricted guys with so many unpaid item strikes in a 6 month period. He was pretty embarrassed to say the least when I asked him if he did have unpaid item strikes. It's a good fire and forget weapon against shthds like this and about the oly thing you can do. Sellers just have to remember that we are just a number to Ebay and we should certainly use what little leverage we have. File the unpaid item dispute without hope of it actually getting paid, it'll act somewhat like a bad credit rating for a while and if he keeps it up he will feel repercussions eventually.

Tkecks

I've had a few buyers back out of a sale too. Go through the unpaid item report, or get the buyer to initiate cancellation of the transaction and you should get your fees back. This way it's annoying but not costly, however, you do miss out on selling to the guy who bid the second highest amount.

Nickb123

I had a buddy who sold a poster to a gentleman (not ebay, a private forum). Apparently the buyer was giving him a hard time about something. So my buddy takes a picture of the poster, photoshops a "tear" on the poster and forwards a picture of the timely accidental "damage" to the guy to try to dissuade him from following through with the purchase!
When he showed me the picture, I about fell off my chair laughing. The photoshop job was hardly convincing...the buyer posted a "beware of seller" thread and my buddy was banned from the site permanently!

I had a word with him...

robrinay

The saddest part of eBay regs is that a mutually agreed sale cancellation is the way to get your listing and final value fees back fastest and do a second chance offer ( for a lower price and so a lower final value fee for eBay). This applies no pressure to the type of twit mentioned above who claims he made a mistake but lets them off the hook with no consequences. It's time eBay did a frequency search for this type of behaviour and slapped the perps.- after all it's costing them money from lost sales as well as causing anger stress and frustration with honest sellers.

a2jacketpatches

robrinay said:
The saddest part of eBay regs is that a mutually agreed sale cancellation is the way to get your listing and final value fees back fastest and do a second chance offer ( for a lower price and so a lower final value fee for eBay). This applies no pressure to the type of twit mentioned above who claims he made a mistake but lets them off the hook with no consequences. It's time eBay did a frequency search for this type of behaviour and slapped the perps.- after all it's costing them money from lost sales as well as causing anger stress and frustration with honest sellers.

Think you hit the nail on the head, but they do figure the second chance offer or and that you will most likely re-list anyway as opposed to worrying about lost sales or frustration for the sellers. We are expendable in their eyes.

robrinay

Unbelievable! - search for danewilli 100% feedback on 39 transactions but only because sellers can't give him negatives. Then read the comments - he only seems to have completed 6 out of 39 transactions! He is still clicking the button and eBay are allowing it - You could not make it up!

dmar836

I'd report it just to get my fees back. Another example of how Ebay will profit from your misfortune and the dishonesty of others.
Do it out of principle and then consider it a lesson.
JMO,
Dave

a2jacketpatches

robrinay said:
Unbelievable! - search for danewilli 100% feedback on 39 transactions but only because sellers can't give him negatives. Then read the comments - he only seems to have completed 6 out of 39 transactions! He is still clicking the button and eBay are allowing it - You could not make it up!

I agree that Ebay keeps these dickheads in the circle, but it is you allowing him to click your button. If truly 6 out of 39 transactions, I'll bet he's had unpaid item strikes against him. You can easily set your preferences to block the deadbeats from purchasing your items. Mine are set to block anyone with two strikes in 6 months. Since I did that every once in a while I'll get a guy that asks why he's blocked, and usually to their embarrassment they say " yes, probably unpaid item strikes. I also have my preferences set for Ebay to automatically file an unpaid item dispute after 4 days, this sends a note to the buyer from Ebay and in most cases they pay within a day or so. On buy now, you can set preferences so they have to pay immediately as well or the transaction won't go through.

So as much as everyone knocks Ebay, there are some tools that sellers can use to their advantage. You just have to take a few minute to learn how to use them. Just as a buyer has to jump through a few hoops to get a refund etc. You have to jump through some hoops to minimize the hassles of these knuckleheads. Otherwise you're letting them in.

And yes, as Dave says, report it. If you don't, it is you that allows this kind of thing to slip by. Do it out of principle and do it to preserve what little control us sellers do have. And also, set your preferences to save yourself some aggravation. You'll have a little peace of mind knowing that repeat offenders get the axe without you having to bother with them. And I can just imagine how pissed they get when they are refused automatically due to their history.

It works........