• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Makes the Most Accurate Stitch for Stitch Repro of the US Tanker Jacket ?

B-Man2

Burt, Since you owned every repro tanker made, I am curious to have your opinion about the ATF ones. I have their fleece tanker but the construction is kind of awkward - it's hard to describe but when I wear it it does not fit/feel quite right . I was wondering if their wool lined jacket is any better
Adam
I also owned both the fleece and the wool versions . While they were ok , I found both of them to be very blousy and puffed out when I wore them . The fleece one more than the wool one, but still they both had that problem . I also found the wool one to be lighter in weight than an original . I think they used a thinner wool blanket lining in them. So for those reasons I sold them . The newer versions may have addressed those issues and that’s why I asked the question .

jack31916

99% agree… except the BR ( „ Conmatic „) zipper has nothing to do with a WW2 tanker jacket…
I am happy to be proven wrong.
Other than that BR top class as well!
Maybe the brand isn't right ( although Conmatic can be a spin-off from Conmar...?) the shape of the zipper is.

I've had an original "Tankers" jacket with this type of Conmar or maybe even Conmatic zipper. See some pics from the web for the idea.

Attachments

• image.png.33fc9a4034e651e580853cc9b19f9608.png
    image.png.33fc9a4034e651e580853cc9b19f9608.png
    525.5 KB · Views: 64
  • image.png.2577290058e40a0d0524188edc613be5.png
    image.png.2577290058e40a0d0524188edc613be5.png
    797.9 KB · Views: 56
  • image.png.8d7e97b80a96859e83aa4aae004d3fb3.png
    image.png.8d7e97b80a96859e83aa4aae004d3fb3.png
    475 KB · Views: 59
  • image_5571636.jpg
    image_5571636.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 62

Chandler

I also owned both the fleece and the wool versions . While they were ok , I found both of them to be very blousy and puffed out when I wore them.
I've only ever owned a WW2 Impressions and ATF Fleece, but a friend had a Buzz that I thought was a damn good repro -- just beyond my budget.

FWIW -- I've never considered my (7 year old) ATF to be "blousy," but I've also washed it a couple times and I know it's shrunk -- though still fits fine.

The WW2 Impy always felt short in the body and the knits on the collar and cuffs always felt too short.* The body fabric was pretty robust, but the color was a little off. This was from a very old run -- maybe early 2000s, so I can't comment on their current production.

I've wanted a tanker since the late '70s when I first discovered Bill Mauldin's cartoons and historical writings on WW2 -- even bought a Cockpit version that turned out to be crap (and returned), so I'll just say I'm pretty happy with the look, feel, and fit of my ATF -- even have a backup for when the current one gives up the ghost.

*I posted a pic of this jacket in another thread, I'll have to dig it up for reference.
3mOtIay.jpg

Last edited:

CBI

considering you have owned many Tankers, makes sense to get in the GW line as it will cost you much less in the long run.

Brettafett

Not sure if you've seen this Burt, or if its your size...

Spitfireace

You should put in the proviso that you mean WW2 CVC (combat vehicle crew or tanker) jackets. Since there are other models made since then.

Chandler

You should put in the proviso that you mean WW2 CVC (combat vehicle crew or tanker) jackets.
Winter Combat Jacket?

Wasn't really designed just for tank crews, they just glommed on to the whole winter combat set and the "tanker" stigma just stuck.

Last edited:

Pilot

Burt go for it, it wont get better:)

B-Man2

Burt go for it, it wont get better:)
Guys
Thanks so much . I’m working in something now and if it works out I’ll post it . I certainly appreciate your input .

B-Man2

UPDATE……. UPDATE ….. UPDATE ……

These days there aren’t many things that people can agree on … but the one thing that I think most of us on this forum would agree on is ….. that John Chapman is a good person and a very skilled jacket maker.
To bring you guys up to date on this thread, as most of you know from reading the above posts I was in search of a really spot on repro tanker jacket that had all of the components of an original WWII tanker. I had owned a number of different maker tanker jackets and was never really happy with the feel, look and weight of those repros. After searching around I was pretty much resigned to trying to find a Buzz Tanker, as I figured that would be my only option. I really thought that a Good Wear Tanker would be the ultimate tanker to have, but at 76 years old I had a long honest discussion with myself about the realities of waiting a few years in the jacket que. It was about this time that I checked my email one morning and to my surprise I had gotten an email from JC. He related that he had read this thread and as fate would have it, a customer had just returned a tanker jacket to him for a sizing problem and JC, knowing my dimensions from previous purchases thought that it would fit me, and asked if I’d like to try it out. I won’t bore you guys with anymore details as you have probably already figured out how this ends. The jacket was a perfect fit. It’s a DuBow tanker and it checks off every box in my quest for a repro that is indistinguishable from an original.
So John Chapman .. if you happen to read this .. thank you ! You’ve made an old guy happy beyond belief.
Cheers !!
IMG_1810.png

IMG_1807.jpeg

Pa12

UPDATE……. UPDATE ….. UPDATE ……

These days there aren’t many things that people can agree on … but the one thing that I think most of us on this forum would agree on is ….. that John Chapman is a good person and a very skilled jacket maker.
To bring you guys up to date on this thread, as most of you know from reading the above posts I was in search of a really spot on repro tanker jacket that had all of the components of an original WWII tanker. I had owned a number of different maker tanker jackets and was never really happy with the feel, look and weight of those repros. After searching around I was pretty much resigned to trying to find a Buzz Tanker, as I figured that would be my only option. I really thought that a Good Wear Tanker would be the ultimate tanker to have, but at 76 years old I had a long honest discussion with myself about the realities of waiting a few years in the jacket que. It was about this time that I checked my email one morning and to my surprise I had gotten an email from JC. He related that he had read this thread and as fate would have it, a customer had just returned a tanker jacket to him for a sizing problem and JC, knowing my dimensions from previous purchases thought that it would fit me, and asked if I’d like to try it out. I won’t bore you guys with anymore details as you have probably already figured out how this ends. The jacket was a perfect fit. It’s a DuBow tanker and it checks off every box in my quest for a repro that is indistinguishable from an original.
So John Chapman .. if you happen to read this .. thank you ! You’ve made an old guy happy beyond belief.
Cheers !!
View attachment 129405

View attachment 129409
Don’t you just love days like that. Congrats and put 30 years of wear on it.

Lowden025

I own a "Good Wear" tanker that I purchased several years back. I don't have the expertise to talk about design and material authenticity but the materials and fit are top notch. I also own a "WWII Impressions" purchased around the same time. Nice jacket...but doesn't have the feel and comfort of the Good Wear.
Not sure if John is still offering tankers. At the time I purchased it he was experimenting with the design and had only made a handful.