• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Makes the Most Accurate Stitch for Stitch Repro of the US Tanker Jacket ?

B-Man2

Hi
Looking for a consensus of opinions here. Who makes the most accurate, stitch for stitch repro of the US Tanker Jacket. Looking for something as close to the original as possible.
I’ll take for granted that most will agree that JC would be the most accurate, but who’s your choice for 2nd place. Please don’t list the ATF fleece jacket as an option .
Looking forward to your responses .
Cheers .

leper-colony

ATF wool jacket?

1697507120247.jpeg

1697507136955.jpeg

Pilot

For me after John from Goodwear,…
…The real McCoy‘s
No plastic fantastic ( not even a blended.. ) liner and correct zipper, knits etc…

Enigma1938

SM Wholesale

Superb Quality, still have their M41 and it's the best in its league imho

Lorenzo_l

I have heard that WW2 Impressions do a good repro of both the first and second model Tanker jackets. I have never seen one in the flesh, so I cannot vouch for that. Price is not too bad either.

Enigma1938

I have heard that WW2 Impressions do a good repro of both the first and second model Tanker jackets. I have never seen one in the flesh, so I cannot vouch for that. Price is not too bad either.

Yes indeed, second that

Pilot

Nothing to compare against but my BR stands up to any critique I’d say, even though I’m thinking of parting with it as simply don’t wear it much since owning a BR B10!
99% agree… except the BR ( „ Conmatic „) zipper has nothing to do with a WW2 tanker jacket…
I am happy to be proven wrong.
Other than that BR top class as well!

CBI

WW 2 Impressions tend to be a bit short SM Wholesale are not bad but not worth the price. The zippers are so-so. RM and BR have been pretty hit and miss with Tankers I must say so be careful. Sometimes the color is way off and the proportions a little odd. Yep, I think GW is the best (owned 2, love them but really too large for me). Still an ATF fan, wool lining is fine. Really, once you wear and wash a few times, most of these guys look the part with no need to obsess

Pilot

Apologies if I misunderstood the OP… its not about budget high or low, but stitching by stitching plus the rest accuracy… not what the price tag is…apologies if I misunderstood.
PS.. a poly. blend liner, bad knits and miserable inaccurate zip or others… is not stitch by stitch accuracy.. IMHO..but again.. maybe the OP should be rephrased „ best value for money“ or similar..

foster

I have owned the following, and will only comment on these specifically:
Good Wear Leather
Buzz Rickson's
WWII Impressions
At The Front (numerous ones)
SM Wholesale

Of these, the GW was the best stitch for stitch copy, and came with an original zipper.
Buzz Rickson's is an excellent copy, and newer runs of this one have corrected the weakest aspect of the early ones, which was the lining fabric.
WWII Impressions did a batch with some long sizes around a decade ago. I got two of those, and ended up shortening the sleeves slightly and adding original cuffs. The weakest aspect of the WW2 Impressions one is the zipper which does not have a vintage style stopper box.
The SM Wholesale was so long ago (late last Century) that I really shouldn't have listed it. At The Front has made at least 2 new production runs since the last one of theirs which I owned.

B-Man2

Burt,

Are you shopping for new or used is OK?

And may I ask and it may sound silly, but why the search for accuracy/SfS in this one? Just positively curious.

SfS = Stitch for Stitch.

D
Hi Dany
The reason for the post is that over the years I’ve owned every repro tanker made with the exception of a Buzz and Real McCoys and in the end they all fell flat for me and I sold them off. I’ve been considering buying another one now and wanted your opinions on which maker was now making the most accurate repro . I pretty much new that Good Wear was the one I would like to have, but the two year wait was going to be an obstacle for me. So I thought I’d ask all of you to see if any of the previous jacket makers have upped their game or if I had to go with a Buzz. You guys opinions always matter to me so that’s why I posted the question .

Adama36

Hi Dany
The reason for the post is that over the years I’ve owned every repro tanker made with the exception of a Buzz and Real McCoys and in the end they all fell flat for me and I sold them off. I’ve been considering buying another one now and wanted your opinions on which maker was now making the most accurate repro . I pretty much new that Good Wear was the one I would like to have, but the two year wait was going to be an obstacle for me. So I thought I’d ask all of you to see if any of the previous jacket makers have upped their game or if I had to go with a Buzz. You guys opinions always matter to me so that’s why I posted the question .
Burt, Since you owned every repro tanker made, I am curious to have your opinion about the ATF ones. I have their fleece tanker but the construction is kind of awkward - it's hard to describe but when I wear it it does not fit/feel quite right . I was wondering if their wool lined jacket is any better

foster

Burt, Since you owned every repro tanker made, I am curious to have your opinion about the ATF ones. I have their fleece tanker but the construction is kind of awkward - it's hard to describe but when I wear it it does not fit/feel quite right . I was wondering if their wool lined jacket is any better

The last time I owned the At The Front tanker jackets, I purchased both options - the fleece and the wool-lined. I liked the wool one better (I am enthusiastic about good wool fabric) but eventually sold off both of them. At the time, I did not notice any appreciable difference in construction to the two, but the lining was of course different in the two. I'm guessing this was around 2015-2016.