• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who made this reproduction Roughwear jacket?

ausreenactor

At a guess I would say the jacket is the Rough Wear offering by Spearhead. Given the flaky appearance on the shoulders I would say that is additional evidence to my theory. They were discussed in detail some time ago..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USAAF-Type-A-2- ... 27ca6f5b63

The listing refers to three different contracts; however, the 18091 was their initial 'original maker' efforts. Their leathers are somewhat lacking but I have only had very good things to say about their WW1 and WWII kit..

Couchy

Silver Surfer

wondered about that myself. looks kinda crappy in terms of construction and plasticy hides. they say hh, but it looks like low end goat.

ausreenactor

'IF' these guys got hold of the hides that GW and Bill Kelso reject they would be a more realistic proposition. I would put faith in a robust construction standard.

Never had any issues with the stuff. It is just what they are using to make their products. I am shipping a 1944 dated Australian WWII jacket to the guy for a more accurate reproduction of the jackets issued to the 1st Marine Division in WWII in Melbourne. Their green woollen fabric for their WW1 tunics is spot on! Getting a couple as part of the deal.

I would say a $250-$300 final value on this jacket. This would be a good one to adorn with art and leave hanging?

Couchy

regius

This is spearhead, by the guy Barry Linden. This is their seal brown goatskin, from Pakistan. Pakistan exports some large quantities of goat, and there are some really good ones out there. I have a pair of A-10 gloves from US Authentic, made in Pakistan, of Pakistan goat, the color is identical to Lost World's russet, but the goat and construction is indestructible! The goat gloves creases beautifully too.

In contrast, my Buzz Rickson seal A-10 in goat, although more accurate in proportion, but the thread is coming off all over. Tough goat though, possibly also from Pakistan, and far better color tone.

regius

as an additional note, please don't let the "made in...." cloud your judgment. the Spearhead A-2 are constructed superbly. I personally like the cotton twill, it's not accurate but far more practical. Only if their skin is better...

A

Anonymous

I was impressed with the construction,just wondering who the vendor was.

PaulGT3

The ad says its horsehide. Goodwear says the 18091 was only made in Goatskin.
So sounds like it is probably a spearhead like you all say.

A

Anonymous

Spearhead, look at the ugly dark wear around high spots, and around the neck.

Jaguar46

I am pretty sure this is my former Spearhead A2 that I purchased, tried to shrink down with HWT therapy, which was an abject failure on this piece of crap jacket. I sold to a guy back east. It may have been constructed well, but the leather was awful.

Here is a link to my musings on this jacket. (The first entries are pictures of the first jacket I received, which was not bad, but too big and I had to send back.)

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthre ... =Spearhead

Here are pictures I had taken.

P1000995Medium.jpg

P1000999Medium.jpg

P1020001Medium.jpg

P1020010Medium.jpg

P1020015Medium.jpg

P1020017Medium.jpg

P1020020Medium.jpg

P1020026Medium.jpg

P1020027Medium.jpg

P1020028Medium.jpg

P1020029Medium.jpg

P1020030Medium.jpg

P1020031Medium.jpg

P1020032Medium.jpg

A

Anonymous

To bad, the jacket without the dye problem does not look that bad.

ausreenactor

You killed it! :eek: Hot water treatment is not in the warranty surely?

I think you could pump polish into any rough spots. These guys make clobber for a living. I think it is purely a case of the hide they use. If they used a better hide and source the right labels they could pump out any contract, with only the accuracy/dollar debate being an issue.

Couchy

Jaguar46

jzist said:
I would have redyed it.....looks like a nice pattern...a good beater A-2...

Yes the pattern was nice, and the lining was not bad, but unfortunatly, the leather was a piece of scheisse. I hated it.

A

Anonymous

the leather has a base for black color
but then they decided to make them brown.
interestingly enough, it's the same situation with original G-1 of the Monarch contract