• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

where is the love?

Tim P

I fully understand that the price of new jackets is high, that new purchases are often funded from old sales and that people can ask what they like.
A disturbing trend however has set in here to tout second hand jackets at a hard nosed and frankly inflated pricing regime that deters me from coming on here lately because I feel that whereas previously we all benefited from each other's evolving tastes, now it's a question of if I can ebay this at such and such a price, why sell it for less here..
Supply and demand, yada yada, not fun anymore fellas. For me the fun f it all is all but gone. I have posted some little gems on here at very affordable prices... more fool me?
Snuggling into M65' s and allowing necessity rather than desire to motivate jacket purchases these days. Same goes for "friendly" sales. Just hanging on in there. Nothing out nothing in.

A little saddened by it.

bseal

Since the price of new reproduction apparel has gone up, it stands to reason that second hand ones would rise as well.

I don't think anyone actually loves you less though.

Warmest,
Dr. Phil

foster

There is often a difference in asking price, and the price someone will sell an item for. Much depends on what value the buyer places on the garment, and how they factor the wait time for certain makers. It's not a dynamic unique to the leather jacket community, I've seen it elsewhere.

CBI

Prices have steadily gotten higher so people are going to ask for more for their second hand jackets. Second hand has gone up in general as well. I do agree that the hobby is becoming prohibitive financially. Sellers here want to avoid eBay so they give this a try. I think many offer their prices for a little less here since they won't have eBay fees and feel that this forum is a bit more trusting group of customers. Unless there is a huge financial crash, leather jackets prices will continue to rise (like most everything else).

Jacket makers are pricing for customers to buy one jacket, not a collection. Maker's materials cost a lot more than before and we are paying for quality work. Its kind of like being pissed that BMW's cost so darn much seeing as I would like 10 of them.

This is no longer a hobby for someone on a budget (for the most part).

bseal said:
Since the price of new reproduction apparel has gone up, it stands to reason that second hand ones would rise as well.

I don't think anyone actually loves you less though.

Warmest,
Dr. Phil
The besttttttttttttttt!

ButteMT61

New jackets are out of my budget now. Mainly because I have a lot of other things I need to do and just can't justify at this point.
The fun part is dwindling for many reasons, but price is just one of them.
For me hobbies come and go, so this one is no different. I have a few pieces left and am happy with that.

John Lever

I hope that I am bucking this trend. I only ever sell here for the same purchase price I paid for a used jacket.
Often on eBay a listing for a 10 year old Eastman will state ' costs £x on the Eastman site ' and some text will have been copied and pasted of details for a much higher spec. jacket.eg Merino sheep and Warhorse leather. The asking price is more than the original cost of the jacket years ago.

Perhaps as there are no fees to sell here prices could be lower than eBay, but its down to the individual in the end.

ausreenactor

I sell mine on eBay as I want my feedback score to soar! Generally I list at a fixed price with the chance for offers. In some cases I take a loss just to make someone who offers early happy. I never link the sales to the forum. I am inclined not peddle here and there. That is how the offers come and the listings get pulled! :evil: If anyone is eager to buy my jackets they find them there. I find they rarely sell to forum members. I regularly offer up links to eBay items that are too small, UK or US only or outside my wants via the eBay threads from time to time or via PMs if I have someone in particular in mind. I saw the cheap GW yesterday, from memory I was the first to view it (thanks Long Service Leave!), that would have been sure to sell above the ship and flip cost but someone else could have needed that extra length in the body.

There is lots of love here... just the going rate is on the increase!

Tim P

It's my that I think anyone loves me less....

How would that even be possible?

The higher price of new impacting on the higher price of used is false.. used is used. We're not talking about the appreciation in value of original items here.

John Lever

Tim P said:

The higher price of new impacting on the higher price of used is false.. used is used. We're not talking about the appreciation in value of original items here.

I agree, the problem is some people will pay more than the jacket cost 10 years ago when new. That bumps prices up.

colekwok

John Lever said:
I hope that I am bucking this trend. I only ever sell here for the same purchase price I paid for a used jacket.
Often on eBay a listing for a 10 year old Eastman will state ' costs £x on the Eastman site ' and some text will have been copied and pasted of details for a much higher spec. jacket.eg Merino sheep and Warhorse leather. The asking price is more than the original cost of the jacket years ago.

Yes, it is becoming stupid these days as I constantly seeing early Eastman jackets posted on ebay with 'Timeworn' and 'Warhorse' in their descriptions. IMHO, this is fraud.

There are also more and more 'investor' type of collectors these days, probably learning from US TV series such as 'Auction Hunters' etc. Imagine a decent early MA-1 jacket can sell for over USD400 these days, this is becoming a crazy world.

watchmanjimg

colekwok said:
Imagine a decent early MA-1 jacket can sell for over USD400 these days, this is becoming a crazy world.

Count your blessings. 8-9 years ago you'd be lucky to get a decent early example for $400. Ask me how I know . . . :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

johnwayne

I'd like to think anyone offering a sale on this particular site first is keen to see whatever it is go to someone who genuinely wants it and as such it's being offered before going on the 'bay' but naturally, they want a 'fair' price too! I agree that new jacket costs are simply crazy despite I realise, the workmanship and skill that's gone into the making of it and certainly in John Chapman's case I think that's where the love is!! I have nevertheless asked myself the question before but just how much profit/mark up is there in £1000+ jacket although, is that really relevant?
New or used, we as the buyer ultimately have the choice.
Cheers
Wayne

ButteMT61

Tim P said:

So let me get this straight - you think that folks should sell their jackets cheaply so others can buy them and be happy?
Lots of things sell for equal or more used than they did new. Market dictates what price someone can get. Why should someone pay $1100 for a jacket in 2012 and then sell it here for $400? If they can get more, it's not a charity after all.

I've only flipped one jacket for more than I paid. The rest have been given away or sold very cheaply. That was my choice. But I'm also not here or on eBay to make someone else giddy. If I choose to do that it's on me.

And to address the TV show influence - it's everywhere. The Rose Bowl flea market that we've been going to for about 15 years used to be a place to wake up early and find good deals. Now, with so many TV shows showing above retail "values" on items, everything has been marked up beyond not only true value, but people's ability to pay. Most of those venders haul home everything they bring. That happened in the US with antiques in the 80's. My Dad was a big collector and I remember the same thing happening to that hobby. This too shall pass, but for now, prices are higher than normal.

a2jacketpatches

I've been to the Rose Bowl and you're spot on, it's the same at most of them. I seek out a wide range of items and have a fairly well rounded knowledge enough to do so. So I'm consistently successful with one thing or another. The deals are out there but you have to be persistent and hunt them hard. I imagine the same goes for you guys and the repro jackets. Not something I follow closely, but I imagine if you're always looking down every possible avenue you may find a good deal at least once in a blue moon. Considering how focused your search is, it won't fall in your lap every day but I also remember quite a few Ebay auctions posted here on the forum because of great deals.