• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When did Ebay start charging a final value fee on shipping?

B-Man2

I just noticed that Ebay is taking a percentage of the money you get from the buyer to ship the item you sell him. Has this always been the case and I didn't realize it or this another charge from Greed Bay?

ciddu

Re: When did Ebay start charging a final value fee on shippi

I think they began charging the fee on shipping cost too about a couple of years ago.
They declared it was to encourage the sellers to offer "free shipping" on every sale - if anyone can believe such a reason to charge more money...

FlyingYankee

Sounds like E-bay is getting it's money coming and going.

Tkecks

To be fair, ebay didn't charge a commission on shipping in the past, and that led to some sellers charging a tiny fee for the item, with (say) $50 shipping (when the real shipping cost was no more than a few dollars), thereby circumventing any commission. Ebay stopped this by applying a flat % commission on sales and shipping costs, hence your shipping costs should always be 15% more than it actually costs (10% commission, 5% paypal fee)

However, I do object to when ebay forces you to fix shipping fees (media mail on books is an example) when the real costs are much higher.