• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the lifespan of this hobby ?

Roughwear

navvet said:
As long as there are people interested in history there will be artifact collectors(both original and repros). This includes flight jackets of all varieties.

I agree with this. So our hobby has a robust furure. :)

Jason

I wonder how the future generation of pilot-less combat aircraft will affect our hobby. Perhaps owning a 60 year old CWU36 from a C17 pilot in the year 2050 won't be quite as attractive as a 60 year old leather A-2 from a P-47 pilot was in 2005.

zoomer

Who knows, maybe by 2050 we'll all be wearing clothes heat-fused together from soybean hulls, and will pay thru the nose for real machine-sewn nylon.

bfrench

Administrator
Our hobby of collecting flight jackets will last as long as young people have dreams of learning to fly for the sheer fun of flying. For these people will always yearn for the time when the knights of the air ruled supreme and they'll associate the M-422a and A-2 and maybe some of the nylon jackets with these pilots.

Bill French

Vcruiser

rich said:
Vcruiser said:
It will all end in 2012 according to the Mayan calender....
Sorry :cry:

Could you narrow it down a bit Van - I'd like to get my holiday in first.....

Why sure,Rich.
December 21,2012.
Hope that doesn't ruin your plans....
Van ;)

Since American Civil War Reenacting has continued to be popular, I wouldn't worry too much that the passing of the participants in WWII or their kids would dampen enthusiasm. How popular jacket collecting continues to be will be affected by other factors, I suspect. Things like the public perception of war and its consequences, and the tie-in between the trappings of war and war itself.

I've heard people on watch forums wonder how popular pocket watch collecting will be in the future as the average age of the collectors goes up and fewer young people get into it. Same discussion as we're having here basically. Most people alive today are too young to remember pocket watches ever being popular. I think a lot of people are driven to "collect" things...for a myriad of reasons. It will be interesting to see how that one- regular old non-military pocket watches - plays out given the lack of drama associated with war memorabilia. I'm sure some will always remain fascinated by their history, quality, and charm, but we'll see.

wop54

Vcruiser said:
rich said:
Vcruiser said:
It will all end in 2012 according to the Mayan calender....
Sorry :cry:

Could you narrow it down a bit Van - I'd like to get my holiday in first.....

Why sure,Rich.
December 21,2012.
Van ;)
Hope that my new GW will be here before that day.... :eek:

tgd31968

Clyde from Carolina said:
Since American Civil War Reenacting has continued to be popular, I wouldn't worry too much that the passing of the participants in WWII or their kids would dampen enthusiasm. How popular jacket collecting continues to be will be affected by other factors, I suspect. Things like the public perception of war and its consequences, and the tie-in between the trappings of war and war itself.

I've heard people on watch forums wonder how popular pocket watch collecting will be in the future as the average age of the collectors goes up and fewer young people get into it. Same discussion as we're having here basically. Most people alive today are too young to remember pocket watches ever being popular. I think a lot of people are driven to "collect" things...for a myriad of reasons. It will be interesting to see how that one- regular old non-military pocket watches - plays out given the lack of drama associated with war memorabilia. I'm sure some will always remain fascinated by their history, quality, and charm, but we'll see.

I mentioned earliler that I shoot in a civil war organization. We don't reenact, we shoot real ammo for competition, but we do have to wear a uniform, although we are not as strict as the "stitch nazi" renactors :) However, the average age of our organization is creeping up every year (currently early 50's) as kids trade real life experience for the virtual world, and as shooting sports in general take a hit from politicians looking to invent controversy for thier own personal benifit.

Although jacket collecting, for now anyway, is not a political issue, ( I wonder if the vegan animal rights weirdos will someday get politicians to ban the sale and ownership of animal products, and of course nylon is one of those evil plastics that is destroying the world :lol: ) I see the numbers of young people with this interest shinking for sure, and eventually leveling off at a number much smaller than today. But, there will always be some who remember and appreciate history, and some of them will want to own the jackets and equipment that was used.

rich

Why sure,Rich.
December 21,2012.
Van ;)[/quote]

Thanks Van - for a moment there, I thought we were in trouble........................ :D

Vcruiser

rich said:
Why sure,Rich.
December 21,2012.
Van ;)

Thanks Van - for a moment there, I thought we were in trouble........................ :D[/quote]

Naw...just a new day a comin. Portal into a new age...if you will. More important things to consider. Better than going utopian Green ...or even Universalizing Vegavitamincare..I would betcha.
Vanstradamus

watchmanjimg

I'm not sure there's a shred of evidence suggesting that this hobby is going anywhere. In addition to the large number of originals still out there (wearable or otherwise), I seriously doubt there have ever been such strong offerings from the repro makers. Not only have the more established brands greatly improved their product in terms of accuracy and quality, but we also have a new kid on the block (Goodwear) giving them all a run for their money.

None of these makers could survive exclusively on business from the handful of posters on this forum, so clearly vintage-style flight jackets have a tremendous following worldwide. Leather jackets in general have been popular since well before WW2, and postwar jackets inspired by the A-2 and G-1 designs continue to abound. I'd say this hobby will exist as long as there are people looking for rugged, no-nonsense outwear with classic styling--in other words, forever or at least until clothing of conventional style and construction ceases to be worn.

Hawkeye

I think the massive wait times at Aero (3-4 months) and Eastman (11 weeks and counting :( ) are a pretty good indication that interest in vintage jackets is not going away anytime soon.

FlyingToastman

Curahee said:
Wearing 20th century type leather jackets (and other gear) when
will it end ? and will there be an VLJ or FL in 25 years time ? All the
guys here are 35 years and up and I don't see any new young guys
here so were will this thing end up ? only originals behind class in museums ? no more repros ?

Hey, I'm 25 years old and I've been on VLJ since 2002 at 18 :)

Curahee

Hawkeye said:
I think the massive wait times at Aero (3-4 months) and Eastman (11 weeks and counting :( ) are a pretty good indication that interest in vintage jackets is not going away anytime soon.

Not now, I was contemplating the situation in 25 years from now.

tgd31968

It will be interesting to see. As the world wealth is redistributed, and the US loses its place as the economic leader, and there is less disposable income, you will see other countries gaining disposable income. The question as I see it will be will the average chinese, korean, vietnamese or indian guy want or care about US/British flying gear from 60 years ago.

I agree that it will always be a hobby, but I think it is niave to think that all these makers will be in business in the next 5 years, at least at the prices they are getting today. Oviously eastman is in business for this, and Aero has a larger line beyond military, but is John at Goodwear actually makeing a living off this, or is it a suplimental/retirement job? I don't know, but there is a vast difference if someone is trying to live off of it vs just making additional income.

Civil war clothing and equipment is that way. There is really only one high end high quality maker, and he does it for the love of history as well as the profit. There are a few others who churn out reasonable cheap stuff, usually in other countries, much like WPG, and then there are many guys and gals that make stuff for themselves or friends but are not trying to make a living off it. And there are really only two italian makers producing muskets, unless you build your own as I have.
I expect to see the number of makers reduce, and so to the number of collectors to some lower equilibrium as is natural for this type of thing. But more importantly, who cares? I have what I like, and I am not really emotionally invested in the "future of the hobby". Buying vintage flight jackets is not a religion, and it may mean something to you and me, but means very little to the guy next to you on the bus or train.

And, a long lead time is not necessarily an indication of popularity, it is more an indication of the availibility of material, the complexity of manufacuture and/or the number of employees making them.